PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
The Virginias are moderate, but important players. The bright Virginia is lightly citrusy with a touch of grass and earth. The tangy, fruitiness from the stoved red Virginia plays well with the dry notes from the Orientals/Turkish, helping to create a sweet and savory mixture. The Oriental/Turkish are very woody with some spice and cocoa, and often takes the lead. The latakia is smokey and woodsy, but not quite the star, though it adds depth and complexity to the blend. I notice the Orientals and Turkish more after the half way point. It has a perfect burn rate with no dull or harsh moments, and leaves no dottle. Some liken it to the older Balkan Sobranie, but as a thirty year veteran Sobranie smoker, I do not share that opinion. On its own merits, it's a very tasty Balkan blend with a lot going for it.

texmexpipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2014
I'm really looking forward to trying this blend. All of GLP's blends really intrigue me. I think first on my list is Barbery Coast, and then maybe Jack Knife, but this is certainly going on the list.

doctorthoss

Oct 6, 2011
A couple of years ago a guy in another forum scored some BS from 1971 and sent it out to a few of us with the condition that we smoke it back-to-back with Charing Cross and then compare the two. The consensus was that they were exceedingly close. I'm not sure how accurate the comparison was due to the age on the BS, but I can say that nothing else I have tried was as close in flavor to it as was Charing Cross. They weren't identical, certainly, but they shared some distinct and unusual flavor notes I've not encountered anywhere else.
That being said, eveyone's palate is different and the aging question probably meant our experience shouldn't necessarily be taken too seriously. It was great fun, though, and it reinforced my opinion (based on times I got to try BS before it was discontinued) that we live in a great time for pipe smokers. I wasn't blown away by the BS I had smoked from the 80s/90s, I wasn't

Blown away by the '70s version, and I wasn't blown away by CC. I think we have better Balkan style blends today, and they are nearly always available. I would smoke Odyssey, Abingdon,Gaslight, Magnum Opus, or even Northwoods before going out of my way for BS or even a close clone.
YMMV, though!

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
The Balkan Sobranie from the 1970s is different than the versions in the 1980s and onward. Those are the versions I smoked. I missed out on the 1970s BS. I did smoke a little of the late 1960s BS, and it was closer to Charing Cross than the later examples, e.g, about the right amount of red Virginia and Orientals. But as good as CC is and as good as WhiteKnight is, they both lack what I call the "unflavored soda note" of the later Sobranies. Apparently the strain of yenidje used in those versions has changed or disappeared. In another thread, I mentioned that Russ Ouellette and I had a detailed discussion about this, because I sure know what I was smoking all those years, and the yenidje I have tasted in current tobaccos is not the same as what I was used to. I also think the latakia content of CC is a shade less than what I smoked, too, and CC is a shade sweeter with fewer dry notes. But there was less red Virginia in the later Sobranie productions, too, just as there is in the recent version.
If the 1970s Sobranie is like the late '60s version I tried, then, yes, Charing Cross is more like that than it is like the 1980s and later Sobranies. I can still tell a difference, but considering the virtual impossibility of replicating that old version by memory due to ever changing tobacco crops, use of different tobaccos, and no recipe for Pease to go by, then it's a pretty good attempt. I'll say the same for Russ' WhiteKnight.
I don't think it matters. The new Sobranie is inferior to the old, and also inferior to Charing Cross and WhiteKnight. These two blends made me decide it was not worth hunting down new Balkan Sobranie. That's a tough thing to say considering my love for the old version, but this is the way I see it.
Doctor Thoss: I think you have different preferences on English blends because you like the higher latakia content. Am I correct?

doctorthoss

Oct 6, 2011
It depends. Neither Magnun Opus nor Northwoods have a particularly high lat content. I go more for the overall balance, plus I tend to like two distinct types of lat mixtures: sweet blends that are Latakia forward and very, very compex oriental forward ones. As much as I love lat blends, I am crazy picky about them. And then there is my new fave, Gaslight, which doesn't fit either category....

Pease published an article on the old BS a few years ago that included documents from the manufacturer that showed the lat content in BS decreased steadily from the 70/s on. But then again,neither BS White not 759 were truly lat bombs by the standards of lat bombs today. Recipe wise, they had a lot of Virginia. But it's the balance of the overall product, the individual leaf used, that matters. I've had blends with 25 percent lat that seemed like 50 percent or better and vice versa. It's that ability to generate synergy between the components that makes someone a great blender as opposed to an amateur like me.

doctorthoss

Oct 6, 2011
I also suspect the yenidje was either gone or reduced to the point of undetectability by the 80s (I've read that several times, anyway, but i wonder how much of what we think we know about the old BS is speculation). The Virginias went through some special treatment, and there was supposedly some black cav, too. That might explain why you got that soda flavor then but not with the current yenidje. Or maybe not -- like I said, speculation is most of what we have to go on.

The only thing that really matters is if we've got stuff we like smoking now. I'm glad I don't have any old favorites to miss, but I imagine I missed a lot, too.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I tend to concentrate on my favorite and the newer Pease blends, but your review Jim reminds me of the buried treasure.

Status
Not open for further replies.