Jim's Dunhill Three Year Matured Virginia Review.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
The first part of this review is for the old, discontinued version. This one never did much for me. I detected more topping than expected, and though that didn't put me off, I didn't buy it to get a less natural Virginia. I thought it burned a little hot, though not to the point where it bit much, unless I forgot and puffed fast. Burned a little fast, so it needed a slow cadence. It was very sweet (apricot, lemon, and perhaps orange) and not unpleasant, but if the Virginias really were aged three years, I sure couldn't tell it. The Orientals were light, which was okay with me, because I wanted it in the background.
As for the relaunch, there are a few differences. It burns slightly less warmer, slower, and smoother with a shade fewer grass notes. The topping seems slightly more "Royal Yacht" like, though less intense, a little less aromatic, and more of an apricot flavor. I think the lemon and orange(?) is the same. The amount and effect of the Orientals seems to be the same. I still can't tell that the Virginias were really aged for three years. They remind me of the ones used in London Mixture, except they are sweeter. Then again, they are much sublimated by the topping. Needs to be puffed at a moderate rate and no more. Leaves no dottle and has a light nic-hit. Not a bad blend, but not a four star product. I like it just a little more than the original.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Thanks for posting. I imagined something so named would be flavored only by the leaf. Definitely going on the black list for me.

B18

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2015
nice review, but i was wondering.

is it worth cellar the blend? because damn, i got more that than 25 blends in my cellar that i didn't even taste :crazy:

and i want to expand that cellar

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I would not say that. Erinmore is much stronger with less tobacco flavor and different toppings.

Status
Not open for further replies.