PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Here's my reviews of the latest D&R blends in the Raccoon series. They had an initial limited run release in July and should be available by year's end.
D&R Raccoon’s Accent:

The mildly tangy Acadian bright Virginia is processed in the perique style, and is fruity sweet as a major component. The double toasted burley is toasty, nutty, lightly earthy with minor rough and sour, spice notes. The floral, woody, lightly sweet and sour earthy yenidje also has a dry “unflavored soda” essence, and ably competes for attention with the other tobaccos. The nic-hit is almost medium. The strength and taste levels are medium. Won’t bite, and has no dull or harsh moments. The tobacco is a little dry, and I recommend a light hydration. Well blended with some complexity, you’ll notice most every aspect of the tobaccos in every puff. Mildly complex, this mixed cut product burns at a reasonable rate if hydrated, cool and clean with a very consistent sweet and savory flavor from start to finish. Requires few relights, and barely leaves a trace of dampness in the bowl. The after taste is pleasant, and the room note is stronger. Both do linger just a mite. Not an all day smoke for the novice, but experienced smokers may consider it to be one.
D&R Raccoon’s Delight:

The mildly tangy Acadian bright Virginia is processed in the perique style, and is fruity sweet as a major component. The very sweet blonde and double toasted burleys provide a bit of toast, some earth, nuts, wood, and a touch of spice. The double toasted burley also sports a slight rough edge, and dry sour notes. The grassy, tart and tangy citrus, lightly spicy bright Virginia complements and competes with the burleys for attention. Well blended with some richness and complexity, you’ll notice most of the complexities of this blend in virtually every puff. There’s no topping. The nic-hit is mild to medium. The strength and taste levels are medium, but get a tad stronger after the half way point, as does the nicotine. Won’t bite, but I recommend a little hydration and moderate puffing cadence as the tobacco is fairly dry. Once done, this mixed cut manufacture burns clean at a slightly more than middling pace with a very consistent flavor as it easily burns to ash. Requires few relights, and hardly leaves any dampness in the bowl. The sweet and mildly savory pleasant after taste and stronger room notes will linger. Can be an all day smoke for experienced smokers.
D&R Raccoon’s Friend:

The mildly tangy Acadian bright Virginia is processed in the perique style, and is fruity sweet as a major component. The dark mahogany and double toasted burleys are toasty, nutty, woody, and earthy with a smidgeon of spice with a slight rough, sour hit. They are the most obvious components. The earthy, mildly tangy, dark fruit sweet red Virginia is a background player. The lightly applied smoky, woody Cyprian latakia underscores the experience. There’s no topping. You’ll notice nearly all aspects of this complex blend in every puff. The nic-hit is a step closer to medium than it is to mild. The strength and taste levels border on medium. Won’t bite or get harsh, but I recommend a little hydration and slow puffing cadence as the tobacco is fairly dry. Once done, this mixed cut blend burns clean at a slightly more than moderate pace with a very consistent flavor as it easily burns to ash. Requires few relights, and leaves virtually no moisture in the bowl. Has an earthy, woody, lightly sweet after taste and room note, both of which linger a little. Can be an all day smoke.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
No, because of the limited July release. But, they'll likely disappear in 2018, unless the imposed cut off date doesn't change.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
One of these popped up on the SP ad at the side of the Forums page. They look good -- sophisticated smoking at a good price.

edgreen

Lifer
Aug 28, 2013
I had my first taste of Raccoon's Friend today. I agree with Jim's review (as usual). I found it creamier than other D & R s

I've tried and easier for slow smoking because of the cut. The Rimboches are some of my favorites but they are cut much like RYOs and really dry, making it a little work to remember to pack tightly and puff slowly.

Status
Not open for further replies.