PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I've been so busy today that I forgot to note that today is my 45th pipe smoking anniversary. I'm still doing my share of smoking, too! :)
The time was 1;30 in the afternoon in 1974. My buddy Steve Parsons, who started me on pipe smoking, had a small still which was brewing his alcohol, and we were checking it about that time. The reason I remember the day is obvious. The reason I know the exact time is because I'm an infamous clock watcher, and when I lit up for the first time, I looked at my watch as I often do, and in this case, to record the moment so I could bitch Steve out if I hated it, which I obviously didn't. Btw, the tobacco he handed me was Borkum Riff Bourbon Whiskey, which was half decent in those days if you puffed slowly.
Steve wanted me to try the batch, and I said, "You are out of your freakin' mind, buddy. You made it, you try it." He wouldn't. He fed a sample to a mouse, and the mouse died. That ended the experiment. But, I was forever hooked on pipe smoking, and Steve, of course, quit after high school.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Happy 45th sir. I have benefited greatly from your years of accumulated knowledge, and your excellent reviews. So thank you, or should I say, thanks Steve! :D

gerryp

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 8, 2018
Arabi, LA
Happy anniversary Jim! I'd like to take this opportunity to tell you how helpful your tobacco reviews have been for me. The first thing I do when I check a blend on Tobacco Reviews is to look for your review of it. Thanks, and keep up the good work!

Jan 8, 2013
the_country_cousin.jpg

jfred

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2018
Happy anniversary, and my heartfelt thanks for all the invaluable and inspiring tobacco reviews.

rmpeeps

Lifer
Oct 17, 2017
San Antonio, TX
I think there’s a name in there somewhere for a new C&D blend,.......

Murdered Mouse!

Hey, Ray Wylie said to never ignore inspiration, and he wrote Snake Farm.

Happy Anniversary Mr. Jim!!!

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
Our career started some years ago and has blossomed into near-daily phone calls, and a deep and loving friendship. Jim, you have added so much to the world of pipe-smoking, and we are all deeply indebted to you. Happy anniversary, and many, many more.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Eric,

I am lucky and proud to be your friend. Thanks for everything.
I thank the rest of you folks for all the kind words. Glad you haven't been, uhhhhh, mousy about it! :D
Yeah, I know that was a really bad pun! :rofl: :crazy:

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Jim, that's an amazing backstory. That's crazy to me that u remember the year, let alone the date, and then the damn time even!!!
I barely remember the year, and it was only 7 years ago. All I know is that it was just before my daughter was born.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Happy Anniversary Jim!
You are a true pipe-smoking icon, and the foremost scholar of pipe tobacco reviews.
And Steve Parsons surely made his mark on history by starting you on pipe smoking.
And, for the record, on 6/20/74 at 1:30pm I was riding my bike to Circle K for a Powerhouse candy bar and grape Slurpee.

Status
Not open for further replies.