PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

virginiacob

Can't Leave
Dec 30, 2013
Being a native Virginian, I've started taking an interest in the rich history of pipe tobacco companies established among the tobacco warehouses in Richmond, VA. Among two of the more famous tobacconists were Larus & Bro. Co. (Edgeworth Smoking Tobacco) and J.G. Dill Co. ("Dill's Best" Smoking Tobacco). It's rather sad when you think that these once well-established and respected national brands have since gone the way of the dodo. Today the Dill Building still stands in Richmond but has been renovated into a high end apartment building.
Does anyone know if any modern day tobacconists have revived the "Dill's Best" smoking tobacco blend? If so, I'd love to get some and try it.
Recently I purchased a circa 1930s J.G. Dill "Dill's Best" advertising card with the original pipe cleaners inside. In the advertising write-up, there was an interesting paragraph which I think still sums up how many of us feel about pipe smoking. It reads: "Man's Comforter for Over 300 Years: In those places which men feel is their own -- whether it is their home, their shop, lodge or camp -- there is where pipe-smoking reins supreme. There is where you, your pipe and your tobacco are natural companions, and there is where for over 300 years pipe-smoking has calmed and soothed men, made them more tolerant and happy, led them to deeper thinking and clearer reasoning."

virginiacob

Can't Leave
Dec 30, 2013
Here are some pics of the J.G. Dill "Dill's Best" advertising card that I recently purchased. Does anyone know if any of our modern tobacconists have tried to recreate this famous blend?

phillyb

Lurker
May 31, 2014
The only way I've been able to try the stuff is by opening a 1948 package of it. I think the problem is that so little is known about the tobacco itself, not necessarily that the brand has been forgotten. This is a fascinating little booklet, and it contains more info on the tobacco than anything I've seen before.

May 31, 2012
Love those pocket pipe cleaners!
That booklet is a great piece of history.
@phillyb - wow! How'd it smoke?
United States Tobacco Company bought out J.G. Dill in 1921,

here's a pretty good write up:

http://www.brandlandusa.com/2010/01/07/history-of-dills-best-and-dills-pipe-cleaners/
...an interesting patented 1885 "tobacco dusting machine"...

http://www.google.com/patents/US318549
"Man's Comforter for Over 300 Years: In those places which men feel is their own -- whether it is their home, their shop, lodge or camp -- there is where pipe-smoking reins supreme. There is where you, your pipe and your tobacco are natural companions, and there is where for over 300 years pipe-smoking has calmed and soothed men, made them more tolerant and happy, led them to deeper thinking and clearer reasoning."
That's a great quote.
I also lament the loss of many of our historical tobacco companies, the old American tins from a legion of different makers are all so beautiful.
I also lament the fact that plug tobacco for smoking fell by the wayside, it was popular way back when in America, but then tastes shifted and plugs became mostly for chewing, and that type don't exactly smoke too well.
It's fun looking back at all the old tins though...

http://www.antiquetobacco.com/tobacco-tins/pocket-tins/
:puffy:

May 31, 2012
...another old Virginia company,

I love this old ad:

gravelyad1.png

Going even further back into the history of Virginia tobacco,

this is a very good book and can be had cheaply used for $5.

It's on google books too, and that's free!

Tobacco Culture: The Mentality of the Great Tidewater Planters on the Eve of Revolution
Offtopic,

but I also really like this prohibition cartoon from 1920 published in Judge magazine...
outlaw-tobacco-cartoon_599.jpg

escioe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 31, 2013
I got a message from a friend yesterday that he had found some old tobacco at a hoarder friend's place, and asking if I wanted it. I said sure.
Here's what it is:
y2flI4k.jpg

aP6Xei8.jpg

I wonder if Dill's Best Sliced is the same blend as Dill's Best, just in a different form factor.
Dry as a bone because the box is cardboard and wasn't sealed, but the flakes were untouched and in good shape. I weighed it out to 50g right away, and figuring that it was a 2oz box to begin with, did some rehydration until it hit 57g, or 2oz. The moisture didn't absorb evenly, but I put it into a clean mason jar and will give it a few days to equalize before I try and smoke any.
I'd be happy to send you a pinch, virginiacob, if you'd like to try it out. I have no idea what it is. There's one review for Dill's Best on tobaccoreviews, surely done by phillyb. I'm guessing it's a topped Virginia flake by the smell, which sort of resembles a snickerdoodle cookie: vaguely doughy, vaguely sweet, and vaguely cinnamonish. Mostly brighter tobaccos from what I can tell.

virginiacob

Can't Leave
Dec 30, 2013
escioe,
Thanks. Would love to try it. I sent you a PM with my mailing address. I found an unopened pack of Dill's Best Rubbed on eBay awhile back, but based on the tax stamp on it, it dates to 1926 and I hated to open it from a historical collecting standpoint and figured it would be way too dry anyway to ever be able to smoke it even if I tried rehydrating it. There were a few loose flakes in the box that I did try to rehydrate just to see if I could get any aroma off of it, but no success. From the looks of it, I think the box you found was a lot fresher than what I had found.

Status
Not open for further replies.