PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
[*]I don't know much about JFK (though I did read some books on his assassination, likely just a few months after these photos were taken), but I thought he mainly smoked cigars.
This photo is from an article at the DailyMail
article-2299447-18EE6828000005DC-100_634x902.jpg

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
Few people know that Mrs. Jackie Kennedy smoked a pipe as well. She always had one in her purse along with some tobacco. She never smoked it in public and I don't believe that photos were ever taken of her smoking a pipe, however it was one of her favorite vices and kept secret.
Check this article, it's super:

http://www.alpascia.com/moments/d/A-womans-handbag-i23001.html

yadan

Can't Leave
Dec 23, 2012
Central Galilee, Israel
JFK was primarily a Habanos smoker, and, sad to say, a flaming hypocrite regarding the presidential order he signed forbidding imports of Cuban products manufactured after 1959 into the U.S. He was careful to have an aide procure vast quantities of his favorite Habano just prior to his signing.

BTW, many American Habanos lovers may not be aware of the fact that it is perfectly legal for them to import pre-Castro Cuban cigars.

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
Great photo Numbersix. Thanks for that. I live only an hour away from the JFK Library and have yet to visit. I know, shame on me, but maybe in a few weeks I'll make the trek.

:)

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
JFK was primarily a Habanos smoker, and, sad to say, a flaming hypocrite regarding the presidential order he signed forbidding imports of Cuban products manufactured after 1959 into the U.S. He was careful to have an aide procure vast quantities of his favorite Habano just prior to his signing.
So True Yadan.

jharvard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 2, 2011
That is a great picture numbersix. Thank you for sharing. I am a collector of JFK memorabilia and have never seen this before. Cheers! :puffpipe:

jharvard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 2, 2011
@ DocWatson the JFK library is by far one of the best Presidential libraries. The location is right on the water and there is a "T" stop within walking distance (Umass-Boston Red line). You should certainly invest the time. It's wonderful and even the food at the restaurant is good it serves some of President Kennedy's favorites. Cheers! :puffpipe:

john218

Part of the Furniture Now
May 5, 2012
Connecticut
Great pictures, numbersix. Thanks for posting. I had never heard of him smoking a pipe, but I have heard that he didn't smoke his cigars in public to avoid the image of the stereotypical cigar smoking politician.
Now the question is what blends did JFK and Jackie smoke.

withnail

Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
Thanks for the post No. 6. Being massively interested in the Apollo Programme, JFK is one of my favourite American Presidents. Looking at pictures from that era, many that worked on the Programme seemed to be pipe smokers, but I'd never seen a picture of Kennedy with one.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
Very cool pic 6. Yes, he was assassinated 8 months later. Nov 22nd 1963, the same day that CS Lewis died. Yours truly entered the world 4 days later.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State

BTW, many American Habanos lovers may not be aware of the fact that it is perfectly legal for them to import pre-Castro Cuban cigars.
As for the pre-Castro Cuban cigars, good luck finding any and if you do you're going to pay a small fortune for them.

misterrogers

Can't Leave
May 16, 2011
Ohio
After having a few drinks, I do damn good JFK impersonation.
And while not a conspiracy theory man, is anyone else excited at the prospect of the Assassination Records Review Board releasing the last of the documents in 2017?

cajunguy

Jan 22, 2012
Metairie, LA
And while not a conspiracy theory man, is anyone else excited at the prospect of the Assassination Records Review Board releasing the last of the documents in 2017?
Excited by the prospect, yes. I just don't trust that they'll be anything revealing or all that interesting left to read in the text. Government agencies don't like the skeletons in their closet, nor do they willingly let them out to roam in public.
I expect plenty of black mark-outs.
On the topic at hand, however, the pictures are appreciated. I'm a sucker for anything historical.

seanlamb63

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 20, 2013
Bethlehem
Jack was a H. Upmann man, actually the day before he signed the 1963 Embargo act he sent his secretary of state to Cuba to purchase an accusation of 3,000 H. Upmanns. Once he made it back to the states and to the oval office to present Jack with the H. Upmanns it was at that point that he reached into his desk drawer, took out the papers and signed the embargo act. Just a little history note.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Glad you guys liked it - I was thinking that I was the only one who didn't know this.
@docwatson Awesome info - thanks for sharing it.
Technically speaking, it was a conspiracy. Not everyone seems to know this, but there was a "second" Warren commission that concluded that there was likely a second gunman. By strict definition, that's a conspiracy. And the odds that it was only Oswald (who said he was a fall guy, or 'patsy') and one other person that conspired the whole thing is unlikely when you add in the fact that it was a mob-connected gunman who silenced Oswald.
In the late 1970s, the U.S. House of Representatives Select Committee on Assassinations (HSCA) launched a new investigation into Kennedy’s death. In its final report, issued in 1979, the HSCA agreed with the Warren Commission’s findings that two bullets fired by Oswald had killed Kennedy and wounded Connally. However, the HSCA also concluded there was a high probability that a second gunman fired at Kennedy, and that the president was probably assassinated as a result of an unspecified conspiracy. The committee's findings, as with the those of the Warren Commission, continue to be debated.
http://www.history.com/topics/warren-commission
Interesting how no one ever tried finding the second gunman. Case closed.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Jack was a H. Upmann man, actually the day before he signed the 1963 Embargo act he sent his secretary of state to Cuba to purchase an accusation of 3,000 H. Upmanns. Once he made it back to the states and to the oval office to present Jack with the H. Upmanns it was at that point that he reached into his desk drawer, took out the papers and signed the embargo act. Just a little history note.
That's not the way Pierre Salinger, JFK's press secretary, told the story in the first issue of Cigar Aficionado. According to Salinger, he was sent by JFK to scour cigar stores in DC to buy him 1,000 Petit Upmanns. Salinger got 1,200. I think that's just a smudge more likely to have happened than Dean Rusk going to Cuba to buy them! (Why go to Cuba if they are available around the corner?)

Status
Not open for further replies.