PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

pipebuddy

Having heard this flake had a fruity top note to it, I wasn't sure if I should get some. Of course, curiosity prevailed and I managed to get a few tins of it.

The top note is very fruity, kind of akin to grapefruit, I find, and some citrus. Almost a month after opening I can still smell it distinctly. The flakes are mostly medium dark and when you rub them out you have a shag cut tobacco to pack your pipe.

I can't compare it to Brown Flake as my memory of it is extremely remote. But I have been very pleased with Medium Flake. It smokes very well, it does not bite and the top note is, simply, delicious. It's not the same as Erinmore Flake but I tend to associate the two, taste wise, because of the flavoring. Also, Medium Flake is one of the rare Germain's offerings that does supply the smoker with a half decent dose of nicotine.

Anyway, I like it and if you're a fan of this type of Virginias, give it a try if you find some.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Although I agree that some tobaccos/blending are superior to others, such as Solani, unless substandard such as "Great Value," tobacco is tobacco, and I find, although certainly in the minority in this opinion, that it is my mood that determines the acuity of my palate, not the pipe or the tobacco. So smoke away on your beloved "Medium Flake," but I'm not about to chase the perfect tobacco as in my opinion, which is just that, my opinion, supreme smokes come not from the tools but from within, equal parts one's own joy and the gifts that he brings to the smoke, calmness and concentration. The fabled zone smokes are certainly a product of technique, which focuses the mind and the sensorium, but to go beyond technique requires willingness to participate in a deepening state of mind neither easily obtainable nor replicable.

P

pipebuddy

I'm sorry but I seem to be failing to grasp the intent and extent of your comment regarding my simple and informal review on a tobacco?

Good review, I posted one a few years ago, and didn’t get much feedback either. It’s about the most rare tobacco out there, so most cannot say much to it, because they’ve not tried it. I was surprised by how much added flavor (casing or topping) was added. I was expecting a straight Virginia tobacco flavor. Grapefruit nails it. Very sour citrusy flavor. The tin I had was fairly old when I smoked it. The flakes were more like well combed hay in the tin (not well cut flakes of a plug), and the taste was all of that added flavor. I will let this unicorn live, without pulling the trigger on it. Someone else can hunt this one.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
I was just smoking Germain's Brown flake,while it tases good and seemingly is top-notch stuff It seemed lacking some strength, nonetheless during my smoke, I did detect some faint cigar notes here and there, does this Germain's Brown contain Burley or dark fired leaf in some minor quantities?Any opinion?

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Well,today after trying this Germain's Brown Flake more I'm coming to realizing this is sharing some close similarities with St Bruno RR but with no any floral-kind of toppings,and perhaps its a tad lighter in nicotine and taste ,and Yes I'm detecting some faint Dark Fired Kentucky notes here.I can smoke the St Bruno on the dryer side whereas this brown flake seems giving some biting if dried more than max 30 minutes.Overall,this tastes fine,although,little more depth & force would do nicely.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
pipebuddy, thanks for the review. I have never smoked Medium Flake, only their Brown flake. The Brown Flake to my tastes is an average flake, not as good as Astleys 44 or Wessex Brigade Campaign Dark Flake. It tastes kind of thin compared to those two. My tins of Brown are only from 2015 so I will see what 10 years does to it. If I ever run across the Medium I will take a shot at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.