Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

racerx

Might Stick Around
Feb 21, 2014
Southern California
Jeff Gracik announced this on his Instagram account last week, but I haven't seen it mentioned on this forum yet. A joint venture with his brother to produce a line of more affordable pipes, designed by Jeff, made in Italy, finished in the USA.
Alan Brothers - Blood and Briar
This is an idea that seems to be gaining traction: Trever Talbert has his Ligne Bretagne; Todd Johnson and Pete Provost with BriarWorks; Chris Askwith's Hand Finished line; etc.
I'm very interested to see where the Alan Brothers price point is going to be, and what the shapes will look like.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
This is an idea that seems to be gaining traction: Trever Talbert has his Ligne Bretagne; Todd Johnson and Pete Provost with BriarWorks; Chris Askwith's Hand Finished line; etc.
... and Chris Morgan's Black Jack pipes, and the Dagner designed pipes.
-- Pat

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
and the Dagner designed pipes.
I wouldn't really add the Dagners to the list. Out of all of these mass produced "affordable lines" popping up they're the only ones who aren't actual pipe carvers. I'm not knocking the pipes, just differentiating.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
LOTPR - I'm okay with disagreeing. i don't see any difference between the Dagner's venture and what Mr. Morgan and Briarworks are up to... In each instance a factory is producing pipes to a spec laid out by others. In the case of Briarworks, it sounds like Pete and perhaps Todd are playing a pretty active role and they have equity and oversight of the factory. The gif that Mr. Morgan has going sounds almost exactly the same as what the Dagner's are up to. It's my understanding that Chris Askwith is doing the finishing work on his pipes, and the Ligne Bretagne series is an entirely different but. The fact that the Dagner's aren't carvers doesn't mean much to me when their competitors are also utilizing factories to execute a design spec.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
I hear ya. I also know lots of architects who aren't engineers. I can't speak to the Dagner's product, because I haven't held one. I own a Black Jack and it is a great smoker. I've held and examined Briarworks and Icarus pipes and thought highly of them. I hope to be able to check out the Dagner's product one day, but won't be buying any. I think that they're ugly as hell. :)
-- Pat

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I saw and handled Icarus and Neptune pipes at the West Coast Show back in November. I also bought an Icarus recently and I have to say it's the best engineered pipe in my collection. An absolute dream to smoke. I will certainly continue to buy pipes from Briarworks.
I know Dagner Pipes was at tha same show, but I got too side tracked with others to check the table out.
I have to say the only Dagner shape I've really liked so far is the straight Dublin. Whether or not I'll buy one is still up in the air. If I do it'll probably be after checking them out in person at the West Coast Show.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
For me it has to do with taste. I can taste that precarbed on the first few smokes which I don't like. I do however like the taste of fresh briar. Also. I want to break in my own pipe. I don't need someone doing it for me that is part of the fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.