PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

natibo

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 10, 2013
Cincinnati, OH USA
I normally do not age tobaccos for long, but I have several tins open and might take me 2 months to go through a tin. For tobaccos in metal tins, I usually jar them in mason jars upon opening. But what about the G.L. Pease type tins with the plastic lids. Should I be jarring those upon opening as well?

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
I jar those as well, as if you don't plan on finishing the tin within a month or so, I find the tabac will dry somewhat. Of course, depends on your local climate and where you store the tins.

05venturer

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Amery,WI
You can also put a piece of foil over the tin before the lid to help seal it a bit more for the tins with the plastic lids.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
During the winter months I make sure to jar all opened tins right away. The average humidity in my house during the winter is 20%, so tobacco dries out really quickly. During the summer months when the humidity is higher, I still jar all tins, but do not use as much haste as in the winter.

wilson

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2013
For 2 months the GL Pease tins with the polypropylene lids (used by most US blenders: C&D, McClelland . . .) are OK. I've kept them around for 2 months and not had problems with tobacco drying out, at least not very much. In the winter, you need to be more vigilant, and should consider using a piece of foil under the lid. Once the heat is on, the air in the house is really dry.
The jars you asked about from Amazon appear to be OK for keeping open tobacco for something on the order of a couple of months, maybe longer. Probably better than the GL Pease tin? But I'd not risk it for long-term storage.
However, for the price of one "tobacco" jar, you can buy a case (12 jars) of half-pint mason jars from the hardware store (or K-mart or Target or . . .). Mason jars are good for short-term storage, and are the absolute best for medium and long-term storage.
I don't quite understand why some are reluctant to take the plunge and get some mason jars. I was the same way at one point -- go figure. Mason jars are really the only way to go. You don't have to be one of those guys with 500 lb of tobacco aging in the cellar to start using some mason jars.

Dec 9, 2013
I just picked up 12 mason jars for 6 dollars at michaels (va craft type store with 50 percent coupon).k mart has them as well.

salewis

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2011
No a Smuckers jar is not as good as a Ball, Kerr or Mason jar. I have tried to keep GLP tobacco in the original tin with no success. I would commit all open tobacco tins immediately into a jar.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
salewis said "No a Smuckers jar is not as good as a Ball, Kerr or Mason jar. I have tried to keep GLP tobacco in the original tin with no success. I would commit all open tobacco tins immediately into a jar."
Try cutting a piece of either wax paper or tin foil and placing it over the tin before re-sealing with the lid. It works pretty well for open tins. I have an 8 oz. tin of Cairo that's been sealed this was for at least 6 months. Works well.
Mike S.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
All my open tins are put into my plastic tupperware like containers which keep them fresh for months. The GL Pease tins stay fresher longer than any others as those will sty fresh for over a year with no issues. Here is a pic of the containers I am talking about, they are the opaque ones with the white tops. I have a tin of GL Please Union Square that I have been aging for over a year now and it is perfect moisture wise.

Status
Not open for further replies.