PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

grouchydog

Can't Leave
Oct 16, 2013
Morning folks, hope you day's starting well.
I'm starting to think about buying 'baccy in bulk to save a little money (smoking is not high on the financial priority list just now...) but I'm not sure how best to store it. So:
1. Do you store bulk in large jars and transfer quantities to smaller jars to smoke it? Or lots of smaller jars?
2. What size jars will hold a pound of ribbon-cut, a pound of flake, etc?
Thanks for any guidance!

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
I found a supply of glass bail top jars of various sizes at Hobby Lobby. They are inexpensive and have a good silicon rubber seal. I get a taller one to store longer full size flakes in bulk and smaller ones for lesser amounts.
Remember if your intent is to age the tobacco you'll have to leave it sealed in the jar and not keep opening it to replenish your smoking supply.

murf

Can't Leave
Mar 1, 2013
I have lots of smaller jars, as they're easier for me to store in my cellar at the moment. I have mostly half pint (8oz) ball jars, but have gotten some 4oz jars as well.
The 4oz jars are mostly used for aging, that way I can age some flakes, or maybe if I only bought an 8oz can/bag of tobacco. I bought a 1.5 lb box of Peter Stokkebye Luxury Twist Flake, and opted to put it in the smaller jars. That way, I will be able to age some of it longer, as I have more jars of it. I bought 3 lbs of PS Luxury Bullseye Flake, but hadn't discovered the smaller jars yet. So, when I open a 1yr old LBF, I'll have more of it to smoke than the LTF. But, I'll be able to age some of the LTF for longer (potentially, depends on how fast I smoke a certain blend) since they are in smaller jars.
So, IMHO, I would not attempt to jar an entire pound of tobacco. I think the only exception to this would be if it's an aromatic, or a blend you just like as is, and smoke a lot of it.

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
The title had me fooled.
One pound (16 ounces) is not a "Large Quantity".
The 8 ounce Ball jars will hold 3.5 ounces of most blends if you pack it in tight.
The 4 ounce jars are good for holding the contents of an opened tin. Most tins are 1.76 ounces (50 grams) on average.
The 8 ounce Ball jars stack as they were designed for provisioning, the 4 ounce ones do not stack as they were designed as containers for gifts, and will topple over if you stack them more than three high.

domminigan

Lurker
Jan 22, 2014
I jar large quantities in the largest possible jars that will hold them, then vacuum some of the air out of the jars with a food saver jar attachment. The food saver doesn't put the jars under serious vacuum, just about the same amount you find in the tins from your tobacconist.

While this isn't perfectly exact, in my experience 5lb packs of most tobacco will happily fit into three half-gallon jars with a bit of tight packing, a pound will usually squeeze into a quart jar (32ounce), 8 ounces roughly into a pint jar (16ounce).. if you don't really pack the business out of it, you will have some left over. I keep the leftovers in those squat widemouth 8 ounce jars, the rest are stacked deep in my cabinet. When transferring, I take a bit out.. maybe 2-3 ounces and put it in one of the squat jars, then re-vacuum the larger jar.

With respect to most ribbon cut tobacco, it usually runs at a rough ratio of 1 ounce of tobacco to 2 fluid ounces of jar capacity if you pack it. Don't pack it so tight, leave a little left over to pop into a 4 ounce jelly jar.

Flake, Twist, plug and other compressed, sliced tobaccos will of course fit much more compactly in the same space. I have 8 ounces of Samuel Gawith Navy flake in a pint jar with a lot of room to spare.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Tobacco deteriorates/ferments from the moment the leaf is separated from the stalk. When we control the variables of its continued dying to produce tastes that we value, we call this aging.
I've been jarring tobacco for some time and favor pint jars. Though current aging theory says that it isn't necessary to keep a jar sealed to age, I'm not comfortable with forcing tobacco to go through the aerobic and anaerobic stages of fermentation repeatedly. Anaerobic aging only begins once the air in the container has been eliminated by aerobic aging. It used to be said that the goodies of aging were produced mostly by anaerobic aging, but no more. The current wisdom says that there is no greater benefit whether the aging jar is periodically opened or kept closed. Both methods will age the tobacco just as well, but differently.
I am of the opinion that the chemical reactions of anaerobic fermentation are of maximum utility if left alone, meaning the jar is not opened. Why stop a process of chemical decay, force it, by opening the jar, to take a different tack while oxygen is present, only to return to anaerobic aging once the introduced oxygen is used up? I would suggest that once a beneficial process is underway, let it alone for whatever quantum of aging you desire be that 1 or 10 years.
Some say that they don't want to deprive themselves of being able to smoke a tobacco for years. I say that there are always other tobaccos to smoke. If your aim is to age something, leave the container closed and let it do so. If you buy a tobacco that you want to smoke now but also want to age, buy enough to age and enough to smoke now.
For example I have three pounds of 8 oz canisters of Haddos in the cellar. Knowing that this tobacco improves markedly with age, I wouldn't even consider opening any of them for three years. Most probably I won't open them before five years.
Some don't like the changes that a tobacco undergoes with age, but I love its smoothness and homogeneity. If you too so so love, let the tobacco alone so that it can produce its best magic.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Non-aromatics age better than aromatics. Though, I have had some aromatics that mellowed and seemed

to become more complex and interesting with time. I wasn't aging them by intent, they just got neglected

and seemed better when I got back to them.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
image176-600x289.jpg

Here are some examples of different jars that I use for cellaring and my rotation. How much each one holds (by Gram) will depend on the tobacco's density and moisture content.
The first one is a Kerr 1/2 pint wide mouth. These are my favorite rotation jars for loose cuts, and they generally hold a 50gr. tin perfectly.
The second is a Ball 1/2 pint, I use these for cellaring, as well as in my rotation. They will also hold about 50gr. of loose cut well. They are perfect for holding 100gr. of flakes or coins!
The next is a Ball 1pint wide mouth. These are my absolute favorites for cellaring! They will generally hold between 100-150gr. with ease, and the wide mouth makes them much easier to load/unload, and they stack very well!
The next is a standard 1 pint Ball Mason jar. it will hold about the same as the wide mouth jars, but I find them a little more difficult to load/unload. Still, it's a good jar.
The last one is a Ball 1/4 pint jar. I use these mainly for 1oz. samples of tobacco. But if you want, you can also put 1/2 of a 50gr. tin in one. That way if you know that you're not going to smoke a whole tin for a long while, you can stick 1/2 of it in the cellar.

grouchydog

Can't Leave
Oct 16, 2013
Hey thanks for all the feedback, useful information.
@zekest - a pound IS a lot for me at this point! My whole "cellar" is about 19 oz. at this point, which is why I'm looking at storage methods since I need to grow it dramatically.
Next I gotta work on getting my better half to understand why I "need" to stockpile tobacco, but that's a totally different thread....

Status
Not open for further replies.