PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokertruck

Can't Leave
Aug 1, 2013
just bought 4 tins of erinmore flake which will take some time more than a year to smoke - i dont trust the tins so intend to jar all four & jar separately a bit for sporadic smoking .
question - the flakes if left in tact leave a lot of air space around them even if to the top of the jar -

what is the best way to jar these flake strips - they will definitely break up if pressed too hard to leave little or no space around them.

i prepare the tobacco for smoking by cutting 2 strips into 1/4" squares then rub to a course finish. should i do this for all the strips then jar ?? or just place the strips in the jars & compress who cares what happens to the strips since i will work them later anyways ??
i jarred escudo without breaking up the disks but a lot of air then is in the jars.
thanks guys

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Personally I would keep it in the tins. They will hold their seal for many years. Maybe jar the opened tin, to keep it fresh, but really, I think you can "trust" the tins..... they will be OK! I have Erinmore flake tins from the mid-2000's, and they are fine.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
I leave tinned tobacco in their tins, but usually jar them after opening. I do have a tin of Nightcap that I opened over a year ago and it has been just fine the entire time in the tin. The rubber gasket inside the lid seems to be doing the job of not letting the dry Colorado air kill it.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Yeah I don't understand buying tins and opening them and jarring them, you're simply stopping and restarting the aging process. If it's only a year you really have nothing to worry about. I've got 14 tins of erinmore and no issues with them in the cellar. But if you're intent on jarring them just put the flakes in until the jar is full, screw on top, you're done.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Agreed... keep it in the tins until the seal is broken. The tins should last many years before you would even need to worry about the seal breaking on its own. Just jar the one open tin to keep it fresh and leave the others in the sealed tins.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
People say that square tins are at risk of losing their seal... but I think they mean for 10+ year aging, not 1-2 years working through some tins.

jitterbugdude

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2014
If you want to keep them in their tins and are concerned about leakage, buy some mylar bags from Mylar Pro and put the tins in the bag.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
"Jarring Flakes"
Flake tobaccos are very sensitive and should never be jarred, jostled, bumped, shaken, or stirred, as this will disturb their sensitive equilibrium and repose. Handle them gently and you will be rewarded. Jar them and you risk the unmitigated wrath of their flakiness.

smokertruck

Can't Leave
Aug 1, 2013
ok thanks - had been concerned as had read that the square tins were an issue.

intend to buy more to keep about 5 years out if i last that long.

will just seal the tins in a pelican seal proof container used to seal my camera on the water when not in use.

will jar the open tin.
interesting - i have a pipe i smoked only erinmore back in the early sixties - dint smoke till now - that pipe still has the ( ghost ) flavor of that erinmore - even the ghost tastes better than today's flake.

it also tastes ok in an estate gourd calabash i bought recently which it seems also was an erinmore smoker also with a ghost flavor -

that old erinmore sure lasted - was fruitier than today's.

enough of my rant.
smoking gets to be a challenge in minus 40 degree winter camping but it will be relaxing hearing the wolves & drawing on that pipe.- looking forward to a calabash smoke with the wolves .
thanks for responses - will leave in the tins in that pelican case.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
What kind of fruit did the original erinmore taste like? I hear it was pretty much a lakeland, so maybe you should explore some lakelands. Gwaith and Hoggarth Kendal flake is very lemon tasting.

Status
Not open for further replies.