PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokertruck

Can't Leave
Aug 1, 2013
just received 2 tins dunhill flake - awesome aroma & flavor. did not hear any suction upon opening both of the tins. tobacco seems ok.

i always jar all my tobaccos immediately but flakes are an issue with me.
the jar is 4" height by 2.75" diameter - the flakes are 4" height but the flakes of both tins are about 3/4 the dia of the jar leaving about 1/4 air by volume - likely too much - will there be no aging with so much air ?
it is generally accepted that to age the jarred tobacco should not be opened hence the second smaller jar -

que - when it is jarred from the tin how does the tobacco know that the process from the tin to jar is not counted as an opening hence no aging should take place as it is now in the jar as an " opened " stash of tobacco -

the opening of the tin should be the stage that stops the aging as the tobacco in the tin has followed the opening step that should no longer allow aging -

- - - the opening of the tin , jarring, then REopening to remove some for the jarring in a smaller jar for smoking - accordingly that REopening only then stops the aging - not the opening of the tin to air ???
when the 1/4" of air is used THEN does the aging start ? so why not continue when tobacco is removed leaving 1" air to be used up ??

what am i missing.

it is accepted that the opening of the jarred tobacco stops the aging even if closed again but obviously with fresh air - when it is used shouldn't the aging now continue ?

whet am i missing.
thanks

blackbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 13, 2015
This post stressed me out. I put whatever in a jar and seal it...I never thought about the exact amount of air in it...or cared for that matter. Hoping my ignorance is bliss here. But dear lord man...calm down. :) I have left flakes in a tin (opened) for 2 months and had no problems...just saying.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Tyler is right. The pipe is supposed to be enjoyable, not a stress causer. For what it is worth I open a tin and usually smoke it up within a week, two at the most. Tobacco seems fine under those conditions.
Oh, and smokertruck, without the capital letters in the proper places your post was damned hard to read, lotta work!

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
The metabolic activity of both aerobic and anaerobic bacteria, fungi, and maybe other organisms produce what we call "aging".

Every time you open and re-close a container, the process will restart, but will likely age differently than if you had never opened the container.

Some air and moisture is required for the desirable metabolic pathways; but as you remove tobacco and increase the air space, the remaining tobacco will tend to dry out a bit. So it's best to use small jars.
Check out The Pipe Tobacco Aging, Cellaring, and Storage FAQ.

michaelmirza

Oct 21, 2015
Chicago, IL
Let's say there was indeed an optimal ratio of air to jar contents, and that you found that perfect ratio. What happens when you decide to actually smoke some of the stuff some day? Is the whole formula then thrown off for the stuff that remains? Do you need to refill the new gap to offset the loss?
As others have mentioned, don't overthink the aging too much. Throw the flakes in a jar, bending them slightly if you have to. If they age over time, awesome! But if they don't, hey, Dunhill is still pretty exceptional when it's fresh, right? So it's already win-win from the start. Age it and see what happens, but free yourself to enjoy it along the way too.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
The whole idea of aging tobacco is grounded in the concept that you put it away to mature for some amount of time. Once in the jar it should stay there without being disturbed. Cortez is correct in outlining the process and the consequences of opening the jar. If the process is interrupted, it will start again but probably not with the same results you would have achieved had it not been opened. Net bottom line, if you're not going to leave it undisturbed for whatever time you intend to age it then don't bother, just protect it from drying out. Which can be done in the same jars.

easterntraveler

Dec 29, 2012
You are way over thinking this. If it comes in a tin and you want to "age" it leave it alone. If you get it in bulk then jar it and leave it alone. Smoke whatever you open.

carbonmated

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 5, 2015
After reading this I consulted Dr. Seuss, he was of no assistance to me. I have since thrown all of my pipes away and my tobacco is out in the lawn.... I bid you good night, and a Merry Christmas :crying:

dutch65

Might Stick Around
Feb 11, 2012
Ok, let me get this straight. Every time I open the jar and allow air in, it affects the eventual outcome of the aging process?
So a tin or mason jar opened the 77th time, will produce a slightly different flavor profile, than a jar only opened 17 times?
So if I kept meticulous records of my jar openings and subsequent smokes, I could eventually with a little effort figure out which jar opening was optimal for my individual palate.
Man, you guys are awesome. Without this thread, I never would have thunk it.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
You are way over thinking this. If it comes in a tin and you want to "age" it leave it alone. If you get it in bulk then jar it and leave it alone. Smoke whatever you open.
I couldn't agree more, sir.
After reading this I consulted Dr. Seuss, he was of no assistance to me. I have since thrown all of my pipes away and my tobacco is out in the lawn.... I bid you good night, and a Merry Christmas :crying:
:)
So a tin or mason jar opened the 77th time, will produce a slightly different flavor profile, than a jar only opened 17 times?
No, you are wrong. You may feel the difference if it is opened 85th time.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
It will be different from a jar opened 77 times vs. the one opened 76 times. But no one will be able to notice the difference. Now, one time vs. multiple over a long period of time, the difference is likely to be detected. Hah! But the opened one may taste better than the carefully jarred one! More experiments, please!

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
There are quite a few variables in the aging of tobacco and cannot be addressed in a small post. I'm currently gathering information from across the web and compiling this into an eBook while I commit it to memory. It is very intriguing to me but deep and taxing to the mind at the same time. I'm having to do additions to the eBook in stages. I'm not sure when it will be ready for publication. There is a lot of misinformation out there which becomes obvious as I add to my understanding.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Some of our professional blenders will have the authority on this one, but as a total amateur and pipe smoker for pleasure only, I try to choose between jars in use in my current rotation, and jars left sealed for aging, or just tins left un-cracked. I await further education, but right now, I consider a bit of air at the top is good for aging, but the jar should be of a size that it is mostly tobacco. I have to admit, there is a lot of imprecision for me. I keep some bagged blend samples inside jars to preserve them, but I consider them in use, and some tins in use un-jarred. Even a few small quantities of mostly burley in bags un-jarred, which survive better than you'd think. So, I do my best, but don't over-think or get too compulsive about it. If you are intentionally aging a blend, leave it in a sealed tin or a mostly full jar with the lid left sealed. For this reason, it is wise to not have too many blends open at one time, allowing that most of us would rather have twice as many blends "going" at once.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I normally have a minimum of 20 tins open at the same time. I like variety and want what I want when I want it. If you look at the picture, you will see plastic tubs that are opaque and have a white plastic lid. These containers will keep my tobacco fresh for a minimum of 6 months and can even keep the tobacco fresh for over a year, depending on the blend. These containers come in a 4 pack of different sizes and cost about 6 bucks for all 4 at Walmart. It is so much easier using this method than using small jars for every blend.

supdog

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2012
So, opening a jar will stop the aging, correct? That means that if I open my jars every day my tobacco will stay fresh indefinitely? :lol:

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
So, opening a jar will stop the aging, correct? That means that if I open my jars every day my tobacco will stay fresh indefinitely?
Yep, though it will also dry out faster.
As for aging, messing with the ecosystem changes the result.
That's why I put some away for long term and the rest is for use. Anything I'm opening repeatedly isn't aging.

Status
Not open for further replies.