PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokertruck

Can't Leave
Aug 1, 2013
BEWARE - an issue with jarring with some mason jars -
all the mason jars are supposed to be air tight - since not jarring fruit most do not heat the jar to ensure a seal as in canning fruit - i jarred 12 mason jars from same package - after a 2 month period i went to a jar to use the contents & by chance smelled the area where the lid meets the jar & could smell the tobacco - this is after !! having tightened full force when i jarred the tobacco - smelled all & 2-3 i could smell the tobaccos - -

did not think of it at the time but now the next day after jarring will apply more pressure to tighten further in event the parts have reset since jarring leaving a bit of air gap.

good idea to you cellaring to try a few to see if you can smell the tobacco suggesting a minimal air leak - yes the jars are a well known company-
before using them i wash the jars & lid parts with soap & very hot water to ensure a clean jar & seal. - some i even wrapped duct tape around the lid & jar seal & with one could smell the tobacco through the tape -
for you canadians they are the jars sold in canadian tire corp.

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
I'm assuming these are new jars? You shouldn't wash new jars as they're already clean and heating the seal is a bad ideal. If you're using used jars always buy new seals. Used jars should be washed in only hot water, never soap.
Craig

Aug 1, 2012
Did you check to make sure the rims of the jars were clean of tobacco? I have had experience with filling a jar and having stray pieces of tobacco on the rim compromise the seal. Also, were the jar lids new?

smokertruck

Can't Leave
Aug 1, 2013
everything new - rims clear of tobacco - i do wash the items first - the jars are sold with the lids in place but loose - i smelled the inside of the jars & can smell the synthetic lining of the lid in the jars.

just bought a new batch of jars - same odor - mild but it is there.-
used jars & used screw tops i wash with liquid soap & rinse well with scalding hot water - but use new top sealer piece also washed & rinsed thoroughly with scalding water - let all parts air dry full day before filling & compress the tobacco medium pressure with no tobacco pieces in the seal.
interesting if a tobacco odor it is on the sides but not on top where there is also the possibility of air leakage.
so to speak all bases covered - the tobacco seems fine, - 2-3 months all jars are dated.
the only tobacco i will keep year or two in the original tins are my mac baren burley london blend discontinued so bought about 8 tins good for about year or two for me. - mac baren tins are super suctioned so i wont jar them until a month or two before i want to smoke it - one tin is two small jars - - one had the side odor of the tobacco other was good - both prepared similarly.

oh well ...
regards guys

Status
Not open for further replies.