PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kendodan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 22, 2013
So I have been thinking about doing an interview with my local B&M (2 hours away) here in Japan. I'm still a fairly new customer there but they have been incredibly nice. They also seem to have a pretty long history. I was wondering if anyone would actually be interested in it. Please let me know in this thread if so. Also if you have any questions you would like me to ask please post them. I am a pretty new pipe smoker myself so I would like everyone's feedback. Thanks everyone for your time!

kibo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 22, 2014
SW PA
I personally think it would be interesting, perhaps offer some insight to the Japanese perspectives and tastes regarding pipe smoking. As I become more experienced of a smoker, I'm finding it very enjoyable to learn more about pipe smoking in other countries and cultures. I've gotten to know a bit of some Eastern European, Chinese, and lately Indonesian pipe smoking habits and tastes, and I feel it's enriched my own pipe smoking. Count me as a +1 to this, and if I can think of any good questions to pass along, I'll let you know!

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
I think it's a great idea! I would love to see this happen. I'm not sure what to ask them, I'm pretty new too, but I'm sure there are a lot of folks on here that could give some help there. I suppose I would be interested in finding out what the locals like to smoke.. what pipes and tobaccos are most popular there. Other than that, perhaps how has it changed over time?
Make it so number one!

rolldog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2013
I think this is a great idea and would love to know what blends are popular in their store, what they think of US corn cobs, favorite way to light pipes, if they see more younger (21-35) smokers coming in.

kendodan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 22, 2013
Alright, thanks for the responses guys. I am glad a couple of people are interested. Thanks for the ideas on questions as well. It'll take me a while to put together the interview. It could be a week or it could be a couple of months. Depends on their schedule, my schedule and translating it. Although I would like to say I can speak Japanese fluently, I can't. So I'll be recording the whole conversation so I can listen to things that I didn't quite understand.
If anyone else has any questions please post here or message me!

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I'm all for it! I don't find much feedback from other countries here much. (or maybe I don't pay close enough attention) I think how other cultures view pipe smoking is interesting. I wonder what older estate pipes the Japanese favor. European, American, Japanese, or something else altogether? Look forward to hearing what you find out.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Go for it. I've been to Japan 16 times for business when I was working but never had the time to scout for pipe shops. I'd be very interested to see what's going on there with pipe smokers and what blends a typical shop would carry.

larrylegend

Lurker
Jan 3, 2014
I think it would be a great idea. Always interested in seeing the differences and similarities in different cultures when sharing a common interest. I would imagine there will be many similarities despite the culture/language differences.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
My recollections of Japan from the early 1980's are that I was the only pipe smoker on the islands. It was certainly a conversation item at the time. I'd be interested to know what pipe smokers are thought of today and if pipes are more common now.

davidintexas

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 4, 2013
It sounds to me like an interesting proposal, but a two hour commute is kind of a long time to go to a job, unless you were also planning on relocating if you got the job. However, that's just me. The job part is very interesting, and if travel time is no big deal to you, I'd say go for it!

kendodan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 22, 2013
It's not for a job. Sorry for the confusion. I just go there when I am in the city which is often because my girlfriend lives there and I thought it would be interesting to interview THEM. For example, how long they have been in business, how they started, how are they dealing with internet sales and of course the questions that have already been posted on the thread. Though, I wouldn't mind a job with them!

kendodan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 22, 2013
Well I just talked to the place this afternoon and they loved the idea. We have yet to set an exact date but hopefully it'll be July or early August. Then it will take hopefully no more than a week to write it up. Pictures will of course be included.
@mrmotoyoshi I live have been living in Okayama prefecture for over 3 years now. How about you?

riffraff

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 8, 2014
South Carolina
I think it is an awesome idea and can't wait to read it. It will be interesting to hear how the cultural differences play in pipe smoking as well. Very cool.

kendodan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 22, 2013
Sorry guys I haven't forgot about this. It's been hard trying to set up a date where everyone can agree on haha. It's looking like this will come out in October sometime!

Status
Not open for further replies.