Tags:  No tags yet. 

James May

(16 posts)
  • Started 5 months ago by flymapper
  • Latest reply from James Foster
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

flymapper

Login to Send PM

anyone else enjoy his multiple BBC series? Currently watching the "Cars of t he People" series, very enjoyable! Captain Slow does a good job as presenter for these series. Already have watched his toys series, and obviously a fan of 'Capt'n Slow" in both Top Gear and the Amazon series "The Grand Tour".

Posted 5 months ago #
  2. rfernand

r

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I did a while back! The hamster and Clarkson also have produced solo series. All good.

Dunhill will return.
    Posted 5 months ago #
  3. scloyd

scloyd

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I enjoyed the Toy series when he built a full size house out of Legos and the episode where he built a 10 mile model train connecting two towns. Fun stuff.

Posted 5 months ago #
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

frozenchurchwarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

5. User has not uploaded an avatar

flymapper

Login to Send PM

Dang! Now I have to find a way to watch Man-Lab (free). Others were on Prime.

Posted 5 months ago #
  6. renfield

renfield

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

He’s always interesting and enjoyable. Though largely for simple entertainment his shows almost always manage to be educational as well. Even better, he doesn’t use his shows as a soapbox for politics of any particular flavor. Not to say he doesn’t skewer stupidity where he finds it.

Posted 5 months ago #
  7. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

He has a fascinating mind.

A man without a shillelagh is a man without an expedient.
    Posted 5 months ago #
  8. jazz

jazz

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm a big fan and coincidently DRIVETRIBE literally just uploaded a video of him changing the dust caps on his Ferrari. He pauses in the middle of the job for a puff on his pipe.

Here it is.

Posted 5 months ago #
  9. shanez

shanez

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The three of them together are great but I think May stands out among the others in individual presentations.

Posted 5 months ago #
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

flymapper

Login to Send PM

Well, hadn't seen his drivetribe - so a whole new YouTube rabbit hole I got lost in. So thanks for that lol!

Can't believe I didn't know he smoked a pipe...

Posted 5 months ago #
  11. jazz

jazz

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well, hadn't seen his drivetribe - so a whole new YouTube rabbit hole I got lost in. So thanks for that lol!

Can't believe I didn't know he smoked a pipe...

I believe drivetribe is a magazine type thing owned by Clarkson, Hammond and May. There is a website for it somewhere.

I'm not completely convinced he does actually smoke a pipe and it may have just been for comic effect but I don't know that as fact or fiction. It just happened that I watched that video and the very next thing I did was look at the forum and see your thread with his name on it.

Posted 5 months ago #
  12. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm a big fan of this 3, and I really enjoy May. I haven't seen much of his solo stuff, but the Best Car in the World special was well done.

Posted 5 months ago #
  13. pylorns

James Foster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I know I've seen them (Clarkson, May, & Hammond) do it for fun, but it's quite possible he is actually a pipe smoker.

Posted 5 months ago #
  14. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Captain Slow

Love May; he's always been the perfect foil to Jezza. Hamster is just the knee-jerk responder to the pranks played on him. James OTOH thinks it out. He's the methodical one, as opposed to Clarkson's just-barely-leashed chaos. Clarkson: "Did you [insert convoluted revenge plot of choice] my car?!" May: "Might've done."

Scott, I'm 100% with you on the Lego house & the Flying Scotsman; I couldn't take my eyes off those shows. Right down to the last shot when there was a Lego, er, "floater" left in the loo!

Bill

Head Black Frigate keelhauler, boss powder monkey, & troublemaker 1st class.
    Posted 5 months ago #
  15. ophiuchus

ophiuchus

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

-I miss Clarkson/Hammond/May-era TOP GEAR ...

I also really enjoyed CARS OF THE PEOPLE. May is a strong writer and puts an interesting yet valid spin on history.

I'm not sure how regularly he smokes a pipe, though he's commented and written on the virtues of the occasional stogie, so who knows.

Posted 5 months ago #
  16. pylorns

James Foster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I reached out to James May on instagram to see if he's open to being interviewed. Usually, they ignore, but he has a habit of replying to people sooo... you never know.

Posted 5 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   ajohnb, voorhees, ben88, creole, danimalia, elbert, corncobguy, redglow, jhowell, alexnc, weezell, pianopuffer, haparnold, peregrinus, timelord, craig61a