PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Just saw that the Jackie Robinson West team was stripped of the US title in the Little League World Series because of residency issues. Apparently the team claimed they were all from the city of Chicago and in fact some of the players were from the suburbs and not in the designated zoning area for the team.
I feel bad for the kids. They were just playing the game they love. This was is on the parents and team organizer. It's their job to make sure all of the rules, as far as eligibility, are being followed.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think the league ought to have a serious reconsideration of the bylaws, at least for the future. I'm from the Chicago area

and know the lay of the land intimately. The corporate city itself is made up of scores of neighborhood entities like Edison

Park, Norwood Park, and so on, and for hundreds of square miles around is thick with surrounding close suburbs like a

patchwork quilt. Because of commuter rail that goes back into the 19th Century and light rail all around and outside the

city, it is substantially one entity. No farm land, limited park spaces (The Forest Preserves) and otherwise pretty much

residential, commercial and industrial. I realize Little League doesn't want to develop a recruiting situation where kids are

perpetually transported all over the landscape to play ball, but this seems to be splitting hairs. Some parts of the suburbs

are within walking distance of outer reaches of the city (my family home is about a half mile away from "Chicago") and

twenty miles or more from other parts of the corporate City of Chicago. The league might consider a radius of mileage

that is acceptable or limit miles a kid travels to practice. They have to keep it legitimately homegrown, but in this instance

it probably was. To make a group of minority kids the test case seems wrong.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I agree with rsuninv, I think they should retain the title, but the coaches and organizers should be punished. I'd say a year suspension from any Little League sanctioned baseball involvement. Let their kid's play, but they can only sit in the bleachers and cheer them on.
From the local news reports here in Las Vegas the Mountain Ridge team who discovered the issue said they didn't even want the title. They just wanted the Little League committee to know about the problem and address it so this doesn't happen again. Made me even prouder of the Vegas team. No sour grapes, just looking out for future kids.

Jun 4, 2014
I feel very sad for the kids, they won, they should keep the title. The adults on the other hand, fine them, ban them, but don't take it out on the kids.

pipebaum81

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 23, 2014
Whether or not parents knew that rules were being broken may never be known. It is even less likely that the children knew however not impossible.
There are two important questions here the first being, were rules broken. The answer apparetnly is yes. The second is, what should the punishment be for rule breaking. Such a tough issue to consider but in the end, when it comes to punishment, does it matter who the rule breaker is or does the severity of the rule breaking lead as the determining factor?
Did their illegal team building establish a team that had an unaffair advantage? Apparenlty those best informed and closest to the issue say yes. Should teams be allowed an unfair advantage? No. If a team doesn't win under the guise of fair play, does their victory count? Sadly no.
Perhaps we are allowing the fact that kids are invovled pull on our heartstrings. Let’s say the coaches had paid the umpires handsomely and this bribe lead to favorable calls infavor of Jackie Robbinson West. Would we object to the title being stripped?

tobyducote

Lifer
Jun 10, 2012
New Orleans
Having coached and umpired Little League for over 20 years...parents are the worse to deal with....it's really sad when a few cheat and break rules in such a way that the punishment impacts the kids...very very sad...I feel for the kids and the coaches and local league organizer should be banned for life...I don't disagree with the punishment though...the team that finished in 2nd place, and hopefully did not break the rules, deserves the "win" because they abided by the rules....I agree completely pipebaum with your assessment

pipebaum81

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 23, 2014
I first read of this story here via the ESPN website in which they dropped a little bit of information on a woman named Kristi Black who happens to be the "former Las Vegas league president." With a little bit of web searching I came across this article on DNAinfo.com that goes into much greater detail on who was pushing for this. Apparently the Las Vegas Coach, one Ashton Cave, made statments prior to the decision presuring the league saying "If we’re going to live by [your] motto, we need to make things right…" It troubles me that the losing district was the one pressing for this but not sure if it really matters in the end.
MSO gave us a great breakdown of the Chicago area. In my searching I found this map breakdown of the Chicago based leagues. MSO, not sure if you are familiar with the boundries but maybe you can give us some more insight having the map at hand.

little-league-map-1418672207.jpg

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
The kids played ball with their collective heart and soul. The parents and team officials played ball with the kids. For shame!

Status
Not open for further replies.