PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

spyder71

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 14, 2011
I am too new to really review a tobacco so I will just say... HOLY SMOKES THAT'S GOOD STUFF!!!

Local B&M started carrying GL Pease but has to order what you want so they are giving out samples. In my tastes it has a really earthy flavor that sometimes has a bit of sweetness to it. The challenge so far has been deciding how I like it cut, shagg, ribbon, or flake. I prefer flake on the bigger side like I smoke Navy Flake. Little tough to get it going but once it does it smokes nice and stayed pretty consistent till the very end where it seemed to get a bit sweeter. So far I am really liking it and will make it my first "tinned" tobacco I order!

IDK, It's fairly new so I thought I would share my experience :D

Jul 12, 2011
@spyder71- Thanks for chat'in about this one, I had tuck'ed away some last year (and forgot about it) so it should be ready to slice/smoke this afternoon, in all glory...MMM-mmm-MMM :puffy:

Jul 12, 2011
I was going for 3-5yrs myself think I have two tins left so I will leave one and one get'in sliced as we speak...OH THE JOY :puffy:

abecox

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 8, 2010
I like JackKnife! I get a lot of earthy flavors with a few flashes of sharp sweetness. It smoked excellent in a Clay Pipe too.

markw4mms

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Bremen,GA
It wasn't realeased
until 2011. You getting stuff from Greg before it's realeased?? That's just not fair!!!
I hear you, but it would be cool if Greg wanted to use us guys as "Guinea Pigs " to test out his new blends he's working on...just sayin'! :wink:

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
JKP is, IMHO, a blend that is destined for greatness. I got a pile from the first production and the fresh tins were only a hint of what was to come--deep, rich bass notes, earthy draw and a rotund palate feel. Now turning the 6-month corner the plug is exhibiting remarkable marbling of sugar crystals, and the bouquet is expansive and complex. The dark-fired Kentucky component will give any top-grade Latakia a run for its money, and the Virginia is taking on epic proportions. In 2016 when we've hit the 5-year mark expect to see a lot of these on eBay fetching ungodly prices, as the smoke should be...well, ungodly.

IMG_6247.JPG

glpease

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 17, 2010
California
Hey! Nice to see the love for JKP. When I first designed the stuff, I had no idea what the future would bring. There was certainly no reason to think it would do anything but age wonderfully, but you never know. The plug form causes internal anaerobic fermentation, while the outer layers are still exposed to plenty of air.
The other night, I opened an 8-month old tin of the final prototype. The aroma was intoxicating, and the smoke was HUGE. I think it's safe to say it's going to age really, really nicely. And quickly. I would have believed the tobacco in that tin to have been 5 years old already.
-glp

spyder71

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 14, 2011
I didn't realize THE GL Pease was a member!

Forgive me I'm new to pipes and this site. You sir, IMHO, are doing an excellent job! I'm glad my B&M has started carrying your tins. I have been pushing them to get in stuff I want to try but they seem to have very few pipe smokers. Meh, they are trying! Is it OK to mention the B&M's name on the forum? Any small shop that will get tins of a customers curiosity, open them to sample, and then order them one at a time for said customer is trying very hard to accommodate!

I need to copy and paste some of these responses about aging to use as arguments for buying this stuff 2 tins at a time. "well Hun, the folks on my smokers forum said I should age some so I NEED 2 of each!"

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
I totally agree, Mr. P. When I cracked open this 6-month-old tin I did a classic double take when I saw the plug, and was bowled over by the aroma. The main drawback is having the willpower to wait for these tins to mature. Smoked as a flake there is a stunning interplay of flavor, just...stunning. But tell me true, have you tried a chaw of it, Clint Eastwood style?

Spyder, tell your wife that she gets a new pair of shoes for every ten tins you get to cellar.

Status
Not open for further replies.