Tags:   

Ivorite

(30 posts)
  • Started 8 months ago by sopsac
  • Latest reply from jaytex969
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

sopsac

Login to Send PM

I notice it being used on some very nice pipes as a decorative accent. What is it, some sort of plastic? Is it stable and safe, or does heat degrade it to any extent? Do you think it belongs on high end pipes?

Posted 8 months ago #
  2. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Is there an online retailer where we can see a pipe with ivorite? It sounds like a simulated ivory. To me, simulated is good, since ivory sales depletes the populations of ivory bearing species, which are almost genetically defunct for reproductive purposes in many instances. I have a faux bone or antler band on a pipe and it looks snappy.

Posted 8 months ago #
  3. chasingembers

chasingembers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

Is there an online retailer where we can see a pipe with ivorite?

Grechukhin Design: Sandblasted Blowfish with Ivorite

I like coffee exceedingly.
    - H. P. Lovecraft
    Posted 8 months ago #
  4. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks Embers! That's an expansive and effective use of the material, with the little red and black accents too. Impressive. No elephants died int he making of this pipe.

Posted 8 months ago #
  5. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nothing fake belongs on a "high end", however that is defined, pipe! Ivory, silver, gold and like should be the fittings on such, if fittings are used. It's fine a $400.00 dollar pipe I suppose. Still ...

A man without a shillelagh is a man without an expedient.
    Posted 8 months ago #
  6. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Highlights on "high end" pipes are of every strip and rarity/scarcity. I like the accents. Bring it.

Ubi Ignis Est?
    Posted 8 months ago #
  7. chasingembers

chasingembers

Login to Send PM

Nothing fake belongs on a "high end"

Yep, nothing like organic ebonite and acrylic.

Posted 8 months ago #
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

sopsac

Login to Send PM

Hans Former Nielsen makes some of most amazing pipes I have ever seen, and I notice he uses quite a bit of it (check out SmokingPipes). I just thought it curious that an ivory look-alike would be used that high level of pipemaking.

Posted 8 months ago #
  9. chasingembers

chasingembers

Login to Send PM

Honestly I think I would like it better. I have three pipes with ivory and one with a hippo tooth shank accent. Always terrified I might break them.

Posted 8 months ago #
  10. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Since it's illegal to import into the US any item with real ivory in it, not surprising there's a decent substitute. And some folks in this thread have very different ideas as to what is "high end".

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 8 months ago #
  11. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Embers: I speaking to the bling, the decorative stuff which is totally for adornment. For me, Ivorite is a decorative mineral suitable for a pool cue or even a pipe but, I'd pay for ivory and not Ivorite. I'm just wouldn't be happy with it on a high end pipe. While not a shape I like, the above pipe has great lines and the white adds to the appeal. But, I wouldn't classify a $400.00 dollar pipe as "high-end." So, once again we fall into one's definition of "high-end."

Posted 8 months ago #
  12. bluegrassbrian

bluegrassbrian

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Heres some...

Tobacco's a help because it clears the mind
    But like all your friends it is vilified
    They always say, the right amount's fine
    Posted 8 months ago #
  13. donjgiles

donjgiles

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have an old Stanwell Reg. Number Silhouette billiard with a real ivory band, the factory glue seams are quite visible and my cleaning methods have not been successful. Perhaps the Ivorite product has better wear properties... as well as ethical considerations.

Posted 8 months ago #
  14. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't want to be a wearisome tree hugger, but I would like some of the critters that bear ivory to be around for the great grandchildren generation. What happened to the elephants? Oh, well, we shot them all. Doesn't sound too smart.

Posted 8 months ago #
  15. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

MSO - poaching is a bigger threat that adornments for pipes. But your point is very well taken.

Posted 8 months ago #
  16. donjgiles

donjgiles

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Interestingly enough, I did some research on the Stanwell I mentioned above and it turns out it is mastodon ivory, pretty cool and no animals harmed. I love the Danish.

Posted 8 months ago #
  17. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Mastodon, wow.

Posted 8 months ago #
  18. donjgiles

donjgiles

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

So says Smoking Pipes about another model...

This Stanwell pipe has a little bit of history. Produced somewhere in the late 1960's and early 1970's, it sits along side their entrance into the "dress" pipe arena and includes a mastadon ivory ring (which means it pre-dates the CITES agreement of materials). The shape is like a compressed Pot, and the chamber is much like an Opera pipe, being an oval. If you enjoy a bit of history, great Stanwell shaping, unique accents and a vulcanite stem, this may be for you.

Posted 8 months ago #
  19. ricebiscuit

ricebiscuit

Login to Send PM

From a pipe makers perspective using real ivory now brings with it problems - Especially for a high end maker selling pipes all over the world. Different countries have different rules on buying and selling items with ivory. Plus With the (relatively) new U.S. rules limiting the sale of ivory or items with ivory, it is easier to avoid the use of real ivory than risk trouble.

The ivorite I have seen is a resin based faux ivory. It looks very close to the real thing. It is sold on Steve's pipe making supply website - https://vermontfreehand.com/product/imitation-ivory/ if you want to take a look at it in rod form.

Save the elephants while still making pipes look good? Win/Win in my book.

Posted 8 months ago #
  20. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm getting confused. (Older I get the more often that happens.) So, now there is faux Ivorite? Where does it stop?

Posted 8 months ago #
  21. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I prefer baby seal jaw bone inlays on my pipes.

Harris
    Posted 8 months ago #
  22. donjgiles

donjgiles

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have a feeling, adornments have been made out of all sorts of terrifying source materials. I don't wanna know.

Posted 8 months ago #
  23. chasingembers

chasingembers

Login to Send PM

I was gifted all of my pipes with "organic" accents, but would still love an albatross bone pipe.

Posted 8 months ago #
  24. donjgiles

donjgiles

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'd like to smoke that while jamming out to some Iron Maiden.

Posted 8 months ago #
  25. zack24

zack24

Mod

Login to Send PM

Mammoth Ivory, Fossilized Walrus Tooth, Hippo are legal in most states. ...and let's not forget Ooosic- Fossilized Walrus Penile Bone...:)

In 2016, there was a near total ban on Asian and African Elephant ivory in the US, but African Elephant Ivory can be used as a decoration on a pipe (or cue stick, or piano) under this very narrow exception- It must be Preban-1990 or older to begin with (I still have a pound or so from 1980 sitting in the shop) The problem is the documentation proving that the ivory is pre 1990....

Here's the link with the details- Ivory Ban Exceptions

Ivorite is considered a perfectly fine decoration on a hand made pipe- I'll let you guys argue what's "high-end". I greatly prefer Mammoth- it has a little more mellow tone and more character from the minerals- I use it a lot ....Here's one out of my shop..

Posted 8 months ago #
  26. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I take warren's point seriously, that if trim looks like something rare, it must be made clear if it is something other than it seems. On the other hand, I would honor a carver who makes it clear what the other material is and let's the buyer be the judge. If someone does a titanium band and identifies the material, or some specialized plastic or other off-brand material, that can be creative. The issue for me would be, are they up front about it? Let me see how it looks, and if I like it, find out how it wears and lasts, and I'll take the gamble. But let me know up front. If someone at a pipe show or club is "deceived," thinking it is one thing and not the other, unless they ask, I don't care.

Posted 8 months ago #
  27. chasingembers

chasingembers

Login to Send PM

On the websites of carvers that I have visited, they always list materials and dimensions of their pieces. SPC lists all of their artisan inventory's adornments in the description.

Posted 8 months ago #
  28. User has not uploaded an avatar

armonts

Login to Send PM

( For the anecdote, it seems that elephants are born more and more without their defenses or atrophied.

Because the poaching survivors are the ones who had small ones and therefore the only ones to reproduce ...
    This is a problem because the defenses are useful for them to survive and feed themselves. )

Posted 8 months ago #
  29. zack24

zack24

Mod

Login to Send PM

If someone does a titanium band and identifies the material, or some specialized plastic or other off-brand material, that can be creative

The only pipemaker I know willing to take on titanium on a regular basis is Nate King- The is definitely not a low-end substitute. It is a challenging material to work with...

Posted 8 months ago #
  30. jaytex969

jaytex969

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Is it stable and safe, or does heat degrade it to any extent?

If someone heats up their pipe all the way to the stem, maybe cadence is an issue.

Gunner, Black Frigate. Say "Hello" to my little friend!
    Posted 8 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   admin, georged, yaddy306, tfdickson