I've been doing it wrong this whole time!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

23 Fresh Bruno Nuttens Pipes
36 Fresh Ropp Pipes
120 Fresh Peterson Pipes
36 Fresh Estate Pipes
24 Fresh Rossi Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

michaelmirza

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2015
Chicago, IL
When I started smoking a pipe roughly seven months ago, I perused my fair share of articles and videos about the basics. A lot of these resources were very helpful, but they all seemed flawed in one way. During the part where each resource described lighting the pipe, they all seemed to assume that the reader would know how to draw properly. They just instructed to draw or take puffs very matter-of-factly. Knowing that it's best not to inhale, I tried to figure out what that meant. I ended up landing on a method in which I would create a vacuum suction on the pipe by closing my lips fully while drawing. Seemed to work well enough as I reached a point where I could get good smoke consistently and keep the pipe lit pretty well.
Recently I've been noticing that my cheek muscles often feel sore after smoking. I've also noticed that when I smoke with friends, my smoke seems wispier than theirs, and they can take longer breaks between puffs to talk and still keep their pipes lit. I realized that I must be doing something wrong. I went back to YouTube, this time specifically looking for videos about drawing on the pipe, and doing so without inhaling. This video by StogieFarts proved to be a game-changer by describing proper draw as being like using a straw (you can take water in your mouth without immediately swallowing it).
Seriously, game changer! I was so scared of inhaling but know I see that using the stem like a straw allows for a smooth and effortless draw without exhausting my cheek muscles. Best of all: I can taste the smoke so much more richly now. I can't believe what I was missing (and that I stuck with the hobby this long despite doing it poorly).
Moral of the story: next time you teach somebody how to smoke a pipe, don't assume they'll know how to draw. Give 'em the straw metaphor.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
I'm glad to hear you stuck with it and started to get the hang of it. I had my fair share of burnt fingers and tongue bite when I first started. There is a learning curve, but mostly it's trial and error. Go at your own pace. Do what works best for you.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I don't think people mention drawing on the pipe, because they assume most people would draw just as they would if they were sipping through a straw. Everyone at one point has had a beverage through a straw, so people just assume you would smoke the pipe that way. When I started smoking a pipe, no one told me how to draw. I just assumed it would be similar to drinking from a straw, and I've never had an issue. Though obviously that's not everyone's experience. Over time I've perfected my drawing on the pipe, but it does take some practice.

newfie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2015
Shearstown, NL
Maybe I've been doing something wrong all along too.
Informative video for beginners, but if I puffed on a pipe (any pipe, cob, meer or briar) 1/2 as much for 1/2 as long as he did in that video I'd need a hose to put out the fire on my tongue and a towel to hold the pipe.
Is it normal to puff that much?

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Is it normal to puff that much?
No ... keep on sipping.
If the pipe does not keep going in between sips / puffs it's more a packing problem, most likely.
You really want the ember to be warming the tobacco underneath it, not torching it.

This coaxes the oils and flavors out more and saves your tongue from burning.

michaelmirza

Oct 21, 2015
Chicago, IL
I've seen the term "sip" around quite a bit... especially when referring to keeping a bowl cool. Cobguy and others, can you elaborate on the different between sipping, puffing, drawing, etc.? Thanks!

michaelmirza

Oct 21, 2015
Chicago, IL
jpmcwjr, you could definitely be on to something. I never set tobacco out to dry nectar I'm impatient and my smokes are usually pretty spur-of-the-moment. Hmmm...

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I've seen the term "sip" around quite a bit... especially when referring to keeping a bowl cool. Cobguy and others, can you elaborate on the different between sipping, puffing, drawing, etc.? Thanks!
To me, puffing indicates an active draw utilizing the cheek muscles. (ie., the video above)
A sip is created by the vacuum pressure in your mouth that naturally occurs by breathing through the nose.
The best example of this is called "breath smoking" and is probably the most relaxed way to smoke a pipe for me.
There are videos and articles all over about this technique but this guy is a perennial favorite around here:
watch

I never set tobacco out to dry
This is a big one ... when you pinch the tobacco together it should fall back apart, not clump together.
Many, myself included, prefer it very well dried ... almost crunchy.
Experiment with different moisture levels and you'll find the sweet spot.

ghoststone

Lurker
Sep 14, 2015
I have discovered, the more relax I am, and the with the least effort. Everything goes so much easier.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Ghost:
You have a superb avatar.
Gen. Puller smoked OTC exclusively: pipes and tobacco. Yet, he was still awarded 5 (five) Navy Crosses.
Thank you, God, for men like him.
Sorry for the hijack, MM.
Fnord

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
Glad you figured it out and hung in there until you did. In addition to the many good statements already made I would add that some tobacco just burns better than others. Blends containing these in higher percentages are just easier to keep lit. My current favorite is one from my B&M which was first blended by a veteran belly gunner from WWII named Frank. Therefore years after his passing Frank is still remembered by those of us smoking "Frank's Blend". It has fair amount of burly but as they do not share the recipe I am guessing. The blend burns like a cannon fuse, slow but steady and with low heat when smoked properly and a complex wonderful flavor. Gosh I love the stuff! :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.