It's been a fun 6 weeks so far... (pics)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cgrd

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2012
Winnipeg, MB
On February 13th, I got my first pipe. I picked up some tobacco the next day and haven't look back! A couple orders from http://pipesandcigars.com/, an ebay estate, a flea market estate and a vintage 1959 humidor (with a bonus of 3 dr grabows and 1 medico estate) came next. Halfling's Leaf was my latest addition.
Phew.
Time now to sit back, enjoy the fine spring weather and smoke, smoke, smoke. :)

edit: used much smaller images. click on them to see the huge versions. :)

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Very nice set up!
Looks like you could use more Mississippi River!
I like that Squat Bulldog too.
Not too shabby for a new pipe smoker.

briarbird

Can't Leave
Dec 7, 2011
Awesome! Thats a great little selction of tobacco you have there. I love the Halflings Leaf.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
:worship: Very nice indeed!

But, it seems to be missing something....

Can't quite put my finger on it....

OH YEAH!

Seems to be a bit light on the 1Q. :D

cgrd

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2012
Winnipeg, MB
Thanks guys! I owe a lot of my choices to this site and its forums. I'll add some 1Q to the list for a September purchase, my girlfriend has asked I wait that long before acquiring anymore, and it's a fair request. :) The Mississippi River is only down one bowl, it just had a HUGE bag sticker that blocks the tobacco out in that shot.
The bulldog a Brigham 3 dot, probably from the late 60s early 70s (based on the maker mark).
It was a flea market find (rescue?). I asked the seller if I could see it; it had a HUGE amount of rank smelling cake, a filter in place and a badly oxidized stem. Talked him down from $15 to $10 to $8 because there was still tobacco in the bottom of the bowl. :)
I got it home, reamed it, dropped the stem in oxiclean and used the micromesh pads to polish it up. I then ran booze soaked pipe cleaners through the bowl, shank and stem until they came out clean, and gently sanded and polished the rim to get the char off. All told, about 3 hours of elbow grease and I had a good pipe!
An interesting tidbit...if you want to salvage the stickers off your tins, boil a kettle of water and sit the kettle on your tin for about 5 minutes. It softens the glue so you can peel it off without tearing or leaving the sticker glue behind. Works for bag stickers too, just slap the bag on the side of the kettle for about 30 seconds and you're good to go.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
CGRD,
You show excellent taste in tobacco; there's some very high grade leaf there. It's just my opinion, but a mass market blend like 1Q may suffer by comparison.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Yeah... I don't think any of the smokers like me that our in our twenties own a kettle lol
A boiling pot of water will have to do.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
Very nice setup. Love the bulldog. Haven't smoked any of the blends you have except for McB 7 Seas.

I wish I would have been more schooled when I started at the beginning of 2011, a lot of trial and error buying cheap crap pipes and horrid OTC aros ...... but thanks to lurking some on this site, and reading baccy reviews on th net, and, to give credit when it is due, one my local B&M , I'm now in a more educated dimension. Still learning ....

cgrd

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2012
Winnipeg, MB
@bigvan Well, thank you. :) I thought I'd give it a try, and if I didn't like it I'd keep it around for guest smokers, or for use around the firepit to limit the number of offended noses.
@group4 I'm in Canada, so I was able to get it OTC at the local supermarket. I know this is likely disappointing news, although knowing that I paid $25 for the pouch might take away some of the sting.

maineyachtie

Can't Leave
Aug 14, 2010
Pretty impressive. Looks like you jumped right in with both feet.
How do you like the Three Oaks? It's been on my list for a while.

cgrd

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2012
Winnipeg, MB
@bubblehead33 - Winnipeg, MB
@maineyachtie - I really have enjoyed it. Subtle, yet complex; I found there to be a lot going on from spicy to sweet with some incense like smells. It burned really well, and stayed pretty cool. Right now I have to say that Wilderness has been my favorite, but I could see 3 Oaks providing some solid competition.

Status
Not open for further replies.