PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
Very interesting. I met the maker at the Chicago Pipe Show last year. He was very friendly and excited about his product.

buzkirk

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 14, 2009
Humboldt Tn.
Guys make sure to post your comments on the article over there as well.

It's the traffic and comments that drive this site.
Tom

brent

Lurker
Dec 14, 2013
I've owned my Morgan Pipes Briar Cigar for about 5 months now and have joined just to put in my little bit of experience with it. Have smoked it usually 5 days a week at work,; yes I know we're supposed to 'rest' our pipes!
I am a new pipe smoker, its been one year now,so have limited experience but I have learned to love this one for what it is. It is not a sit back and relax with a lengthy smoke at home pipe, but for loading, capping and putting in your pocket with a tamper and lighter and off you go, it is a great addition to my pipe rack.
-Contrary to what some reviews say, it does get HOT. Too hot to touch your cheek with, and that is even with drawing slowly. Obviously with the very thin walls of it, heat is unavoidable. However it seems to me that its made of the best quality, hardest briar ever and so far it still looks like new.

-It is a little temperamental as far as keeping lit, for a 10 to 15 minute smoke, I usually have 2 to 4 relights. Have had the most success with loading in about 5 stages, the 1st one just a wee smidgen and barely tamping, then ever so slightly larger and harder until full.

-When sitting and smoking, care does have to be taken with hot ash falling out, I have 2 small holes in my work coat to prove this! Keeping it always just above level seems to do the trick.

-Have had to do minor (and careful!) sanding with fine sandpaper on both the cap and the vulcanite stem or mouthpiece. The cap has a rubber o-ring, the inside of the pipe does have threads and when new the o-ring easily threads into place for a snug fit. As time has gone by though the fit became tighter and tighter, to the point where it became almost impossible to remove. Probably due to the pipe swelling? I have removed the o-ring and progressively sanded the part of the cap going into the pipe, it is now a gentle friction push-in fit and seems to work well.

Same with the stem, it always was a bit scary with the force I had to use to remove the stem, it also became tighter to the point I thought it was going to break. Again light sanding on the part that fits in the briar has fixed it perfectly. On both these obviously do it in many stages until just right- there ain't no going back!!

-The very short stem length does put some heat into your mouth if smoked vigorously, afterall its shorter than most 'nosewarmers'. However the large diameter chamber in the stem end of the pipe works as advertised and with normal puffing its not an issue.
This has tuned into a lengthy post, sorry, but hopefully my experience can help others make a decision on whether to buy one. I highly recommend it, I'm happy with mine and enjoy it very much, the brief interlude with fine warm briar and tobacco is a welcome part of my work day.

Should mention mine is the newer version, sandblasted style, purchased from Premier Pipes for $119 plus shipping to Canada. I think the price is slightly higher now, Premiers communication and service was great.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
It's definitely interesting, but I'm not sure I'd like it that much if it were mine. It does remind you of as Zeplin pipe though! I almost bought a Zeplin pipe from Dave (Shaintiques) at the Chattanooga show this year, I kinda wish I had now, just to see what it's like.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Not my thing, but certainly an interesting product. It doesn't have the presence of a traditional

tobacco pipe.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Very interesting - not my cup of tea, but interesting nonetheless. And thank you Brent for the review (and welcome to the forums).

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
I've seen those before, and would like to get one eventually. I have a Zeppelin pipe, and they're basically the same thing, so it isn't high on my list right now.

brent

Lurker
Dec 14, 2013
To update my earlier review of the briar cigar: its closer to a year now that I have been smoking mine and I think I have learned to pack it even better as I usually have no relights needed now.

In addition, the cut of tobacco used seems to make the biggest difference - Morgan Pipes says its best with smaller pieces, cutting the tobacco finer is recommended. With this in mind I stuck with tobaccos such as C/H and the like, but I think this was wrong - longer cuts with bigger pieces such as RLP6 or 4noggins aromatics fare much better. I think this is due to more air flow around the larger cut whereas the finer, more compacted burley actually tends to restrict the flow.

Didn't want to sound as negative about the smoking characteristics of the pipe as I perhaps did earlier, my experience may help others here.

It continues to look and feel like a high end pipe, as mentioned I believe the briar and vulcanite are very high quality.

Hope this helps............

Status
Not open for further replies.