PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 8, 2013
I met another pipe smoker today! I was at work actually, I work for a grocery store, and just happened to be walking down an aisle and over heard a customer I was passing say something about smoking his pipes. I stopped dead in my tracks lol!
"Did I just hear you say you smoke a pipe?" I asked.

"Yeah," the other guy said while giving me an odd look. I wonder if he thought I was going to say something anti-smoking or something.

"Well, I smoke a pipe!" I exclaimed. And then we had a short conversation about a couple websites we order tobacco from and the kinds of tobacco we like. But I couldn't linger too terribly long as I was at work. I wish I could have had a better discussion with the guy. I wish I had taken a picture... but then I'm sure the photo would have turned out blurry or grainy or something. :rofl:

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
Anthonyrosenthal74:
Reading your post initially made me think that perhaps we pipe-smokers need a pin or some other subtle means of identification (perhaps a code phrase like, "I'm a friend of Bowl's") to signal to others our membership in the society. You will notice that I said, "...initially..." The more I thought about it, the more it occurred to me that there is absolutely NO need for subtlety. Rather, we should speak openly and publicly about our hobby just as you did with this gentleman in the store, and we need to let people see us enjoying it. We are pipe-smokers, and we are proud!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Isn't it funny seeing another pipe smoker, like a sighting. Big Foot as in your title. An Ivory Billed

Woodpecker (the one that may or may not be extinct and was last "thought" seen in a swampy area

of Arkansas, but was last known in Louisiana. Smoking Nat Sherman 536.)

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I have run into the odd pipe guy in NYC outside of those friends I have made here on the forum. Once in a blue moon when Andre and me have our usual Friday lunch we might run into a pipe smoker once in a while. In NYC it seems to be cigar smokers are two a penny.

rangerearthpig

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2014
I'm still waiting for a sighting. I've hunted the areas they supposedly frequent (parks, city sidewalk benches, etc.), I've used my tracking skills trying to locate dottle droppings and burnt match sticks, I've even tried to lure them in with open tins of aromatics. All to no avail.
I often find myself wavering back and forth between, "Do they truly exist, or are they just folklore?," and, "They probably do exist, as the science world continues to find new species each year."
One day.....one day, it will all pay off.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
@rangerpig, you're using the wrong bait. Put out some P&C discount coupons (fake ones will do), some tins of Wessex BCDF or bags of aged Penzance. The key is good deals or unobtainable tobacco.

I spot the occasional pipe smoking bigfoot by the pipecleaner stuck behind their ear. That's the universal, Mason handshake for our kind.

I'm lucky to be in an area heavily populated by pipe men. If we are not in pipecleaner visual range, you can track us by our aromas.
Lora gives me grief for dropping pipecleaners out of my cardoor everytime I get out of my car somewhere. I just tell her that I'm leaving breadcrumbs :puffy:

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Unfortunately, they are rarely seen in the wild. I only find them near pipe/ cigar shops, and at prearranged monthly meetings.

redbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 2, 2013
I have yet to find a fellow brother of the briar...cob..meer... But I have not given up and I hope it will be soon. I need some friends :rofl:

Mar 1, 2014
I've now discovered that both my brother and one of my closest friends smokes a pipe, and I only found out after I brought up the subject. I have also brought it up with more than a few of my friends over the years with mostly good reception.

I think the "nerd" culture has latched onto the idea pretty firmly, as that tends to be a common denominator among the people I know (usually quite technologically literate).

Status
Not open for further replies.