PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

indianafrank

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 15, 2014
We visited my son and 5 year old grand daughter this past weekend. We’re in NY their in VA.
I spent quality time with my grand daughter, playing poker, shooting craps, and pitching coins against the wall.
We also had some quality conversations. Like when she asked me.
“Grandpa? Who do you like to talk to the most?”
I answered. “Me.”
She was confused as to what I meant so I explained to her about how I talk to myself about various subjects. She asked me to carry on a conversation with me to show her what I meant, which I did.
Anyway, I received a text today from her mother.
“I just heard Lena carrying on a conversation with herself. When I asked her what she was talking about she said. Grandpa told me that people are much smarter if they talk to themselves. So I‘m talking to myself.”
Kids…gotta love’em!

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
As long as I keep my conversations with myself simple, monosyllabic words, and simple subjects, I can keep up. But, I can confuse myself.
Actually, you gave the lass a great life lesson. For what it's worth, I'm proud of you grandpa. I should do so well with my grandson.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Way to go Frank, I used to talk to PMON, now that he's gone, no one to talk to but my self. I alternate between French and English, dirty jokes in French have more Flavor. :laughat:

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
Kids have a way of seeing the plain obvious truths of the world that as adults growing up, we are taught to ignore.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Kids have a way of seeing the plain obvious truths of the world that as adults growing up, we are taught to ignore.
Yes I was taking my 4 year old daughter to a friend's to watch her, and In town we pass a larger lady walking down the street.
She says " Daddy, that lady...her tummy is... Large? Like...(in an attempt to correct herself politely) small large?"
Trying really hard not to laugh, I then had to remind her, that you can't say those things too those people, cause they would get sad.
It's funny teaching kids things, that you normally wouldn't think of.

curl

Apr 29, 2014
A lot of our self talk is negative. It takes extra effort to stay positive.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Frank, watch it old boy! She's too young to have an old mans salty attitude.
Edit: You sound like my dad. :roll:

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
"We talk to walls" was the motto of my high school speech team. Go to a meet and there are hundreds of kids having serious discussions with inanimate objects.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Thought processes are continual with most of us, and often in the form of a dialog. The nicety about whether you formulate this into speech or keep it in your head is a matter of habit, circumstance, and cultural mores. Some forms of mental illness, typically schizophrenia, are accompanied by spoken verbalization, but usually not so coherent. Many older folks who have spent years of their lives in large family groups but are suddenly spending time alone will continue to speak as they would in a busy family group, and usually this speech makes perfect sense, deciding what to do next, speculating on life around them. Kids often talk to themselves, both to keep themselves company and as a rehearsal for future social interactions. I tend to like to keep my internal conversation in my head and will shift it back when I find myself talking aloud, but I don't object to others quietly discussing things with themselves. Now with all the phone devices, solo conversationalists just look like they're on their headset. However, when you need to talk with someone intelligent, you know what to do.
Ref brad's talking to his dog: Actually animals usually enjoy companionable conversation. Dogs, cats, horses and birds seem to learn a few words, especially if they have been engaged in training or the words are around feeding, walking, treats, etc. Much more than that, they understand human speech in considerable depth not in terms of the concepts, but in terms of your interest in them, your attitude toward them, your attitude toward yourself, your mood and mood changes, and so forth. Animals, I posit, are often better at picking up the emotional and intentional content of speech than people, in most cases, because they are reading the person and not the words.

indianafrank

Oct 15, 2014
Warren -
Actually, you gave the lass a great life lesson. For what it's worth, I'm proud of you grandpa. I should do so well with my grandson.
I think you'll be a very good example for your grandson.
Brad -
Way to go Frank, I used to talk to PMON, now that he's gone, no one to talk to but my self. I alternate between French and English, dirty jokes in French have more Flavor. [:laughat:]
:worship:
bigpond -
Frank, watch it old boy! She's too young to have an old mans salty attitude.
Edit: You sound like my dad. [:roll:]
I can't be too salty. My wife told me today when I got home that two of the little, neighborhood kids asked her if "Frankie could come out and play."
You see, little children and me think alike!

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
I had a friend who used to say "God bless you, sir" to himself after sneezing. Then he was thanking himself for the politeness.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Some psychological counselor, psychiatrist, etc., could become famous advising people to regularly conduct conversations aloud with themselves. It would be the subject of a book. He/she could appear on Oprah. Articles in Vanity Fair and Reader's Digest (illustrating the range of readership appeal, you see). The book could be titled "A Good Talk With Yourself." Or something. Celebrity has been built on much less than this. Okay, M.D. or Ph.D's, get busy. A big book advance awaits you.

Status
Not open for further replies.