PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
I'm not sure why but I seem to have a problem with small Dublins. I have 2 in my collection and while I like the space they always seem to smoke hot on the last half of the bowl. I don't have this problem with my smaller Apples, Eggs, Cuttys or Billiards. Maybe its how I smoke matched with the narrowing of the chamber at the bottom half of the bowl? Anyone else have this issue or find problems between one shape to the next?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I had that problem with these two guys. Started packing the bottom half a little more firm, and fixed the issue. :wink:
http://pipesmagazine.com/members/chasingembers/album/picture/15392

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
I'll have to give that a try. I've always thought packing to firmly adds to overheating not the other way around.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Not so firmly that it restricts the airflow much, just a little more pressure than just pressing it down until it stops. Hope this helps! Added tamping the further down the bowl you go can also help.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I don't know why they would smoke hot, but they look great.
img_20150201_140923-600x450.jpg

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
In addition to what junkyarddawg observed about the diminished thickness at the lower end of the bowl,

could it be that the bottom of the bowl has less external surface area from which the heat can radiate?

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Cortez is onto something. I'd also submit that of you are tamping the last bit of the bowl that you are concentrating the burning tobacco in a smaller and tighter space. More heat should be expected.

forest7

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 8, 2014
When I do smoke a pot shape I do push down tamper little hard but dublin? I don't do that.

Mostly I do just let it go down naturally and slower smoking. Sometime get more flavor from there.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
I just do it with mine in particular because it tends to heat up the nearer I get to the draft hole.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think that may be true with the conical shape inside the bowl, but my Dublins have thick enough bowls

that it doesn't seem to matter. They get a little warmer at the bottom of the bowl, but not so I can't

comfortably hold the pipe. To me, it's an innately appealing shape.

Status
Not open for further replies.