Status
Not open for further replies.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Have you ever had issues trying to smoke on a cruise ship? Our Radio Show Host, Brian Levine certainly has! Just wait until you hear about his fiasco on the the debut of The Pipes Magazine Radio Show this Thurs @ 8 pm eastern US time.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Never been on a cruise ship but seems that a pipe out on the deck would an essential part of the itinerary for me. I will be tuning in for sure.

gnatjulio

Lifer
Mar 22, 2012
New York
I second what bentmike said. I am lookin forward to the show. Is there gonna be a live feed from the forum during the show?

hawk60ce

Lifer
Jun 11, 2012
I've been on many. The back deck is usually the smoking deck, except pipes and cigars. There's a couple bars designated as smoking bars, except pipes and cigars. The sports lounge was the only place that pipes and cigars were allowed. And the hours were from noon-midnight. I usually smoked when we stopped on the islands.

shawn622

Lifer
Jul 22, 2012
Mount Sterling, Ohio
Wow, so there are only certain hours you can smoke a pipe. That sucks! I reach for my pipe as soon as I clear the for of waking up. I would be in trouble because I would be on the back deck with the Cig smokers in the morning, reading whatever newspaper that was available and having a cup of coffee.

koshersmoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 20, 2012
Thats a litttle messed up. Id reather smell a nice cigar or pipe smoke than a nasty cigarette. Thats just me, I have never smoked one in my life. Pipe tobacco is way better, and most good cigars are as well. Their not specifically scientifically engineered to get you hooked and kill you slowly like a cigarette. Its not like pipes and cigars are exactly healthy and DR OZ is going to recommend them as the next miracle, cure all, weight loss, super food, vitamin N wonder drug. But we gotta die some time and id rather enjoy my stay doing the things that make me happy. Sitting on the front porch slowly puffing along on a good pipe is one of them. It would be nice to smoke a relaxing pipe watching the sun set on the horrizon as you leisurely cruse around the world on a cruse ship too.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
We got lucky on our last cruise. We got a deal on a suite with a private balcony; 300 sq/ft. So I had privacy for my pipes and no problem. The ship also had a smoking room for cigars and pipes with bar service. Very nice experience.

mrdoody

Might Stick Around
May 3, 2012
MA, USA
i was on a disney cruise with the family a few months ago and they had one or two smoking areas on the ship that were available 24x7 as far as i could tell. cigarettes, cigars, pipes. anything legal, as best i could figure :) . it wasn't optimal, but it definitely worked. comfy seats. nice view over the railing. etc.
papipeguy - i looked at upgrading our room to one with a balcony for just that reason, but the language in the long-form was very nasty about smoking out there so i saved the green for TAD and PAD :) .
doody.

kris

Can't Leave
Sep 16, 2012
I am going on a cruise in 4 and a bit weeks so am definately interested...

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I just spend a week on an island and smoke on the beach. If you go to Grand Cayman, stay at the Reef Resort on the East End and maybe you'll see me! Rooms open right on to the beach and it's nice and quiet. It's one of my favorite places in the world. Never been on a cruise ship.

mrdoody

Might Stick Around
May 3, 2012
MA, USA
Never been on a cruise ship.

IMO/IME you're not missing anything. the disney cruise we went on was nice, but it was for the kids - not the adults. the places are sort of floating feeding troughs, and even with all the hyper-scheduled activities on a HUGE boat (the population of the disney ship we were on - staff plus guests - was LARGER than the population of the town i live in) i would have MUCH preferred to have just sat on a beach with an umbrella and drink service for those four days :) .
doody!

gecko13

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 2, 2011
Goodyear,AZ
We did a 10 day cruise a few years ago around the Hawaiian islands. I would have much rather picked an island, and just enjoyed my time there on the beach and seeing the sights with pipe and drink in hand. "Yes my dear that is a Peterson pipe in my trunks...."

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
I have to agree, I don't want to be cooped up on a boat that I'm not allowed to smoke on my own balcony. I'll just stay beachside and smoke away.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
Last time I smoked my pipe at someone's place, they said cigarettes were not allowed but pipes were (because they made the room smell better). The opposite is like hearing "this space is reserved for aliens, yup they do exist!"

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
View from my fron door when I'm in Grand Cayman:
Beachview.jpg

How I usually see it:
RumView.jpg

hawk60ce

Lifer
Jun 11, 2012
I guess me and Brian had the same experience, i was on carnival which is sister to princess so it makes sense. fortunately (or unfortunately) i wasnt a pipe smoker then and was on the cruise with my now wife and it was our ''alone'' trip after my deployment

hurkman

Lurker
Nov 25, 2012
Smoking bans and smoking areas are just crazy. It wasnt that long ago people could smoke in air planes. Then the world got a wild hair and now everyone wants to live to 1,000 years. To me, its a personal choice to smoke and its a personal choice not to smoke. So telling people where and what time they can smoke is just another way to limit the freedom of personal choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.