PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

woopigsooie

Might Stick Around
Jul 21, 2014
My pipe, a Stanwell Bjarne Nielson B1, was super shiny when I got it about a month ago but after the first smoke all the shine was gone. Also, when I smoke it I think the dye is rubbing off on my hands. Are either of these things normal?

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
The loss of sheen is actually sort of reassuring. To me it indicates that you don't have a shellacked finish, but rather, wax.

That's a big plus in my book. Any time you want to restore the sheen, just re-wax it. Lacquer finishes of various types are

often used to cover lousy sanding jobs and ugly fills.
I've had the stain come off on my hands with a Ser Jacopo. You can try rubbing it with a cloth and whatever solvent seems

to work best -- to the extent that you want to remove any excess stain -- but you're taking chances with the ultimate

appearance of the finish. In my case, with a $250+ pipe, I had the nerve to use alcohol and it worked beautifully!

But that was admittedly taking quite a chance. You might be better off exercising some patience as the weeping stain will

probably stop.

deathandtaxes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 29, 2014
Indianapolis IN
I had the same issue with a little of the stain coming off of my Ben Wade Intermezzo. I attributed it to the humidity of Arkansas and smoking the pipe a little too hot lol :puffpipe:

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
woopigsooie, I have had similar experiences. It has never effected the smoking of the pipe, in my opinion.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
woopigsooie, I have had similar experiences. It has never effected the smoking of the pipe, in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.