Is This An Absurd Price For A Kaywoodie?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
Maybe. Maybe not. Early KW's are gaining traction in the estate market. I can easily see it going for $125. But that is a lofty bid. Good for the seller.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
I had my eye on that one. Very displeased when it went so high last night then lost two Peterson's and another as well in bidding war. Don't get me wrong, it is a beautiful pipe. I especially like the stem. I wonder if the interested parties are on this forum? We'll see. :)

markus

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
I'm watching this thread, because I think this is a good question.

What is a rock ambera stem? I suspect the stem may be unique, not sure though.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
There are two determined bidders dueling. That's a common recipe for overpaying. Evidently the pipe is worth it to them.
The bowl is in pretty good condition, and the pipe is from a highly collectible period. Maybe it's an uncommon shape. The stem's a bit chewed up on the underside and it's overclocked, so the pipe is hardly mint.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
That finish/stem combination is considered desirable, but the price has risen to the point of absurdity, especially considering the condition of the stem. The Kaywoodie market has been seeing this kind of craziness of late. I need to cash in...

uncleblackie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 20, 2014
mayfair70: I had my eye on it too. I was shocked to see the jump in price.
markthelad: Rock Ambera is Bakelite with an amber-ish appearance, according to what I have read. Not certain, but I don't think you see these stems past the early 40's. I once owned a Dublin shape with a Rock Ambera stem and I really like the look of it with the black Kaywoodie logo.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I was also watching that one,but was surprised at the big jump. Someone wants it bad to fill a missing spot in their collection I suppose. The nomenclature is excellent(so are the pictures) but the bowl and stem leave a lot to be desired.
s-l1600.jpg

deuce26

Can't Leave
Jan 29, 2014
Slidell, Louisiana
Sable is definitely correct, the stem looks over locked. I do love old Kaywoodies though. I have an old billiard that is one of my best smokers. That stem is not for me though.

xrundog

Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
I guess I need to list my RA pipes on eBay. People think Rock Ambera is Bakelite. Bakelite is what the later yellow swirl stems are. Rock Ambera is, I believe, pressed amber. It's fragile and wears easily. Hence it's hard to find good examples when they show up at all. I'd say the pipe in question is really pretty good for a Rock Ambera pipe.

aristokles

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2011
That is one rare KW, to be sure. It may well be worth the current bids, or more, based on that rarity. BUT that particular specimen is ruined being so over-reamed. Shame.
I see 'xrundog' has a comparable pipe for sale here, one in much better shape, one of the same vintage, type, and at a better price.

jdhayes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 15, 2016
I'm watching this one too. Just to see where it goes. I love old Kaywoodie's but am I going to pay more than $20-$30. Nope! To each there own, but pipes past the $100 range confuse me.. its like paying $100 for a screw driver, in the end its a tool. Just like a pipe is a tool really. Again, I'm not knocking anyone who buys expensive pipes, I can see that they are works of art too. Personally, I'm not going to pay that though. And on a slight tangent.. for the love, stop reaming and buffing the hell out of these old pipes!

xrundog

Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
To be fair to the old timers, their pipes weren't collectable. So they used pen knives or whatever was handy to clean them out. Bowls chewed up by knife marks are pretty common. And many of them probably never saw a buffer but are simply worn from lots of handling. The exterior bowl is in pretty decent condition. It's actually surprising to me that the bit isn't more worn. The old timer probably wasn't a clencher or a chewer.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Wow. I'm not enough of an expert on pipes to be able to determine a proper price for this one, but, ignoramus that I am, I can't see that much money for a Kaywoodie. See my new post on a related subject: didn't want to hijack this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.