PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

redpanda

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 11, 2015
Hello Guys,
I would like to hear your opinions on Stanwell Jubilaum 1942-92 pipes. The particular one being a No.32 bulldog and brand new. Are these nice pipes ? It says it is straight grain ( not that I care much for grain). What should I pay for a new unsmoked one ?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/272099149441

tarheel1

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2014
Well stanwell are hood factory pipes and that is a nice looking one. If you won it congrats.

redpanda

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 11, 2015
I did actually..Thanks. Didn't know what I was getting but it seems rare and I love that shape anyway.

easterntraveler

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 29, 2012
I don't understand the question. You bought a pipe then ask if is nice? Who cares what we think. Now are you asking if it is a good pipe for what you paid for? Then yes it is.

redpanda

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 11, 2015
Easterntraveler: I actually posted the thread shortly before the auction's end. It's ok, the price is fair and it is danish made. My question was basically if anyone could share any info on this particular line, like where it stands in terms of quality. You know, a Stanwell fan who owns one of these perhaps..

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I have two Stanwell 32's. I love them both; they are short and light, with a much larger bowl than you would expect. They smoke great, too.

pipesinperu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 21, 2014
I read somewhere Stanwell's have a tight draw. True?
Not in my experience. My collection is not vast by any means, but I have two old (registered number) Stanwells, a "13" acorn and a little straight Dublin, and the draw is perfect, quite open. I have a couple non-factory Italian pipes (Mastro de Paja and Le Nuvole) with much tighter draws, for example.
@redpanda: Can't speak to the rarity of that specific line, but you got a good price on a nice, unsmoked, Danish-made Stanwell that I'm sure will serve you well. I'd say it was a good buy!

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
Redpanda, I have several Stanwell pipes and none of them has been a problematic pipe. I would not hesitate to buy another one that spoke to me. I am a fan of both Danish and Italian pipes. Your dog is a great looking pipe with good grain and great color. For a virgin pipe you did well. Enjoy.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That should be one of the Danish made Stanwells, so it may be worth the higher price. Currently, these are made in Italy, but are still excellent pipes. They do sell for somewhat less new. I think PC has them for $49.99, or did recently. Shape 32 is one of the original (maybe THE original) Stanwell shapes. They are light but have an ample bowl for their size, and with flake, plug, or rope, you can get a good long smoke. Great for clenching. Good pocket pipes, durable enough to carry. I think you'll like yours, and it has the panache of being one of the good old Danish models. I own two, but mine are made in Italy -- one smooth, one silke brune finish.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I have 2 stanwell seconds called Danish Sovereigns, They're up there in my favorite pipes, one of them is my favorite pipe. It smokes great, great draw, great everything, then I have an actual Stanwell #88 and that is one of my favorite smokers too. I find stanwell makes a great pipe at a great price. They do have higher end pipes which my sovereigns are seconds of.
That is an extremely nice pipe, unsmoked and in the original box, you got yourself a great deal.

redpanda

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 11, 2015
Thank you friends. I will let you know how it smokes. I've got some fresh HH Old Dark Fired waiting for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.