Is There Any Special Care For Silver Cap?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

tarheel1

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2014
Les is working on two silver cap bent bulldogs and wondering if any special care is needed while smoking? Basically just the top portion of the bulldog is silver there is no actual cap.

004-002-2496.jpg

Fixed thread title, please see rule number 9. Pertinent portion: Please capitalize words in the thread titles. Thank you, Robert.

Mar 1, 2014
Rub this stuff on it once or twice a week.
http://www.4noggins.com/paragon-wax-pipes.aspx
Oxidation can be reversed using aluminum in a hot, highly conductive (salty) water solution, but it's really hard to do without ruining the finish on your pipe.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
+1 on the jewelers cloth. One of my pipes has silver filigree on the bowl and shank, and the cloth does the trick.

Good, good, I was going to suggest a jeweler's cloth. Also, if you are going to put a wax on it, although I don;t think it completely necessary, I would suggest Renaissance Wax. It was designed by museums, but used widely by art jewelers as well as knife makers. But, I would just wipe it with a jeweler's cloth before racking it. If it gets a burned edge with a little cake crawl working its way out of the chamber, spit on it, rubbing it in a tad, and rub it on the carpet, preferably a section where your wife won't see you doing it, ha ha.
That is a beauty though. Les does a fine job working silver into his pipes. Congrats!!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
After cleaning the silver, you might stick in in a holder- a bag designed for storing silver, similar to a sleeve for pipes, though impregnated with tarnish retardant. That's if you don't smoke it a lot.

tarheel1

Oct 16, 2014
Thanks guys. I will pick up a cloth. I have needed one as majority of my pipes have silver work. I will get pics of them when they are finished and in my hands.

xrundog

Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
I have a lot of capped pipes. They will brown at the back at least a little bit no matter what you do. I just keep mine clean. Wipe it off after every smoke. Don't forget the inner lip. An occasional polish as suggested will keep it shiny.

Status
Not open for further replies.