Is there any Rum in Peter Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake (LNF)?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fmgee

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 26, 2014
My basic question is does it have any rum casing? (or rum in any other form!)
I got a great Savinelli Alligator Canadian from Orley that I cleaned a couple of days ago and finally loaded with LNF just before lunch. What a wonderful smoke I had in the gentle sunshine. I got a distinct and very pleasant rum flavour throughout the bowl. I love the pipe and the tobacco which I have smoked smaller bowled pipes for a while. This rum flavour got me all excited about exploring other Navy Flakes. So I mused about some of the options, was excited I get to try G.L. Pease Sextant as part of the October Tobacco crawl, decided I better get a tin Samuel Gawith Navy Flake and wondered about the McClelland Navy Cavandish. Then I lookup PS LNF and see that it does not have rum in it! REALLY?
Now I am not sure if I should be exploring Navy Flakes or just sticking with LNF.
I was going to ask if anyone has any opinions on this... but of course you do. So let er rip...

fmgee

Sep 26, 2014
Orley probably smoked Black Frigate in that one
I totally forgot the whole ghosting thing. Whatever Orley was smoking in it it makes for a lovely friendly ghost.

brudnod

Aug 26, 2013
Great Falls, VA
My ghosting cure is 2 cotton balls in the bowl and about 3 ml of Bacardi 151 rum. Wait 24 hours and the ghost is gone. Try it!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
If you are into rum tobacco, you'll enjoy Black Frigate. I love the stuff, and am to blame for Orley smoking it. :mrgreen:

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
I'm an enabler. :mrgreen: Still think it is a very underestimated blend. If I hadn't been exploring nautical blends several years ago, I would not know about it myself.

Mar 1, 2014
How similar would Black Frigate be to Frog Morton's Cellar?

They look similar at a glance but it also sounds like FMC has more Virginia flavor. Does that sound about right?

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
You get alot of the latakia and orientals with a sweetness from the rum. FMC sort of reminds me more of McClelland's Stave Aged while BF is an almost flavor match to Pease's Sextant.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Yes, Luxury Navy Flake has a rum topping. That is pretty much what makes it a "navy flake" instead of just a VaPer Flake. Overwhelming stench of rum? No, but it is there nonetheless.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
It's the cut not the rum. Mac Baren's Navy Flake has no rum either.
http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/706/mac-baren-navy-flake

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Interesting. According to the descriptions on P&C, both contain rum. I notice the link you provided says according to MacBaren, there is no rum in the blend, but under "flavoring", it says "alcohol/liquor". If not rum, I wonder what liquor they would use? What differentiates a navy flake cut from any other flake cut?

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Also read the full title of Escudo. "Escudo Navy De Luxe", no rum there as well. Just a good VaPer flake.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
The Escudo having no rum topping does not surprise me at all. The flavor I have found in MNF and LNF, I always attributed to the rum/honey topping; I get none of that from Escudo.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Found this on Wikipedia.
Eventually all twisted tobacco, and then pressed tobacco, became known as "Navy" "because of the convenience for sailors and outdoorsmen who favored its compact size "and long-lasting, slow-burning qualities." [1] Navy Flake tobacco is pressed into bricks and sliced into broad flakes.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Dear God, now I'm even more confused. You guys are fast researchers! Now I just want to go smoke all my alleged "navy flakes" to see if I can truly detect a rum flavor, or if I was just imagining shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.