PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmatt

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 25, 2014
Many people will label McClelland as the experts in Virginias.

And Many will label Cornel & Diehl as the experts in Burleys.
Is there a similar standard-bearer of English blends?
I'm familiar with many, such as Dunhill Nightcap or Esoterica Penzance. And GL Pease has a number of them. But which brand, if any, is considered the expert of all blends English?

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
Mr Pease would be the master of Latakia, so I guess that could make him the "top brand" for English blends.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
As "standard bearer", not manufacturer, I would have to vote Dunhill. EMP, London Mixture, Standard Mixture, Nightcap, MM 965. When I think of English blends, I automatically think of Dunhill, even though most of my favorite Englishes are not Dunhills.

edwinbaz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 26, 2014
Houston
I'm speaking wholly out of ignorance, as I've only been smoking pipe tobacco for 3 years and have only tried about twenty-something blends. That said, I remember reading in a few places that Samuel Gawith's Squadron Leader was the quintessential English. Those are my 2¢, for what it's worth. Can't wait to read what other people post.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Russ Oulette knows a thing or two about the subject, also.

I've yet to try Blackhouse, but I've enjoyed his WhiteKnight, Magnum Opus, El Nino, and 10 to Midnight. There are more.

Since C&D makes the blends for G.L. Pease, you gotta figure they've got a few of their own that can compete.

I'd like to see a partial list of those considered to be "English" blends that don't have latakia or maybe even orientals.

shawnofthedead

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 5, 2015
I agree that Dunhill springs to mimd. Because it has so many sound English blends: Standard Mixture, EMP, 965, Nightcap etc.

stickframer

Apr 11, 2015
I'd say Dunhill as well. Not only for the blends named but also for historical reasons and the address on the tin. (even though it's not blended there)

anchovyd

Might Stick Around
May 17, 2015
Squadron Leader may be the quintessential English Aromatic but it is not an English English. For that point yourself to Dunhill 965 or London Mixture. I'd say Dunhill is the top brand for plain old English followed by Pease.

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
I'll throw in with Dunhill's classic blends also. However Pease's Westminster is right in with them.

May 31, 2012
Mr Pease would be the master of Latakia, so I guess that could make him the "top brand" for English blends.
I agree.
The Dark Lord reigns over that realm.
Although 965 is iconic and rightfully deserves a place in the Hall of Fame,

I agree with jpmcwjr:

Historically, Dunhill. But Mr. Pease now leads the pack. Too many Dunhill labels are trending towards bland.
Historically it is Dunhill no doubt, but BAT has largely screwed that up and the Danes, for the most part, can't seem to infuse that classic magic of Alfred's most beloved mixtures.
GLPease has expanded the field with innovation, as well as offering stone cold classics with traditional profiles, and continues to do so.
He has worked hard to become the standard-bearer of English blends and he wears the crown well methinks.
The very cool thing is that he not only excels with English Latakia mixtures, but the English blending philosophy as a whole, and also brings a new American perspective into the fold - the House of GLPease is a grand palace!
:puffy:

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Cornell and Diehl and GL Pease are the top shelf English blends to me. Dunhill may have been it back in the day. Add to that the English blends by Russ Oulette. Favorite blends from the above mentioned: Buffalo Soldier, Star of the East, Gaslight, Black Point, Larrys Blend and White "Frickin" Knight. Doesn't get better to me.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
There's is no top brand there are only top blends. Every brand wobbles a bit in the lineup to accommodate a wide range of tastes to maximize market share and stay in business. When I think of a top English Penzance jumps to the top of the list of what I've tried.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
There are so many great English blends, it is almost wrong to single out one blender or one brand. There is something for every nuanced taste from knock-your-hat-off strong to mild and delightfully complex. I think Dunhill has the full array of strengths and tastes from one outfit, but that hardly throws G.L. Pease, Cornell & Diehl, Russ at P&C, and other major players into the shade. I like about half the Dunhill offerings really well, or half I've tried. My all-time favorite English blend, despite its mildness, is Nat Sherman 536, for its sophisticated and refined bringing together of flavors in such a skillful nuanced way. But I also love a good bowl or Dunhill MM 965 or Nightcap. C&D's Stratfordshire is a mighty fine English blend too -- along with so many others. P&C Chestnut -- in a tub, no less!!! I'm enjoying that one right now.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
When English is the topic, my mind usually goes to Dunhill and Rattray.
Also, Squadron Leader is most assuredly not an aromatic. To make sure I opened a fresh tin just a few moments ago and am puffing away.....it's for science.

moses

Jan 12, 2013
Biddeford
Fwiw, magnum o and great hiatus are pretty much top of the pops for me. Both are blended by Russ Ouellette. Both beautiful exercises in balance and complexity. Mmm, might have to pop a tin when I get home actually. :puffy:
Edit: and also chalk me up for another vote for Westminster. Another top notch smoke.

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
Mr. Lowercase has the right rhythm on this: The Dark Lord is at his finest now. Westminster of the Heirloom Collection is sublime, sublime I tell you.

Chelsea Morning (Old London Series) is mouthwatering good. Gaslight, another Old London blend, is as delightful as a morning sunrise. I could go on, but you get the idea.
When I began smoking pipes some 40+ years ago, Dunhill was King of the English lords. I tried most of the Dunhill English offerings at one time or another and finally latched onto 965.
But, alas, as we know, Dunhill has now fallen from the throne. Long live King Pease!

markus

Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
I have only been smoking a pipe for about a year, but I smoke english blends almost exclusively now. I love the GL Pease and Duhill english blends equally and separately, each for their own uniqueness. MM965 and Westminster are my go to blends right now and almost every TAD purchase has one or the other included. It would be to hard for me to pick between the two right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.