Is There a Specific Era That You Won't Buy a Pipe From?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Is there a period of time when there just weren't any decent pipes being made? Like we all hear the newer Dunhill / White Spots are no good, and the best are 19xx-xx.
I'm thinking maybe during WWII? Or the early Depression years?
Or was there always at least one major manufacturer making great pipes no matter the time?

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
I'm thinking maybe during WWII? Or the early Depression years?
Or was there always at least one major manufacturer making great pipes no matter the time?
Great English pipes were still made in the 1930's, and during WWII (although in greatly reduced numbers). The Comoy's Blue Riband was first released in the late 1930's, and Dunhill was making some beautiful Shells during the WWII period, they're actually somewhat rare because of the decreased production.
:)

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Is it true that Dunhill used strawberry wood for some of their war era pipes?

tavol

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 23, 2018
Newer Petersons.
enuf' sed'
It's the same for me unfortunately. I love the history and the look of Peterson pipes but I've owned three, one is well engineered, one is very poorly drilled and the last had a bent stem that had been so poorly bent it wouldn't pass a pipe cleaner. Burned too often to want another

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I don't mean a specific brand but rather a specific time. I suppose there are always carvers in some part of the world doing excellent work, but did large factory made pipes ever have a period where nothing was really good?

fishingandpipes

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2013
Who sez the White Spot pipes are no good? I think they had a rough patch in the 80s or so (the one 80s era pipe I had was certainly a dog) but all my White Spots smoke great.

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
Perhaps we could turn it around and ask what were the best eras of certain makers, for example, registration era Stanwells.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
I think (almost) every factory had its golden years and dog years. Pre-80's for Comoy's, Pre-1969 for Dunhill, Pre-transition (and very early transition) Barlings, Pre-Dunhill Charatans, etc. The one exception, to me, is Castello. The newer (Kino Era) Castello pipes are (again, to me) every bit as good as the old (Carlo Scotti Era) pipes, maybe even better! I think the new Stanwells are as good as the ones made in Denmark. Peterson has already been covered. Savinelli pipes are still good quality, I just hate the ones made for 6mm or 9mm inserts/filters. I love the old Non-Pareils and new and old Autographs. I don't think there was an era where ALL pipes took a dive. Its a brand by brand thing.
Tim

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Who sez the White Spot pipes are no good? I think they had a rough patch in the 80s or so (the one 80s era pipe I had was certainly a dog) but all my White Spots smoke great.
The 80s were before they were rebranded as White Spots. I think that was 2011.

Status
Not open for further replies.