PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

elduderino

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 4, 2014
St.Paul, MN
I've just drove two hours to visit my awesome Granny. Grandma Bev is 80 yrs young. She is quick to make a young man blush with a joke. She is church going. Yet she makes homemade moonshine whiskey infused drinks. And tells dirty jokes and gives multitudes of wisdom too.
My father is the youngest if four boys. His daddy died when my dad was 10 and my granddad was 32. Growing up I've heard many stories of my Grandma raising four boys. Until recently when I smoke a bowl in front of my Grandma Bev did she mention my grandfather smoked pipe. She didn't like the English I started out with while smoking on the deck. So I started a bowl Black Berry Brandy. She the went on how my pappa Donny smoked about a dozen pipes ranging from stinking.to berries,and chocolate.
She then said she's glad I'm smoking pipe and not cigs. She said to try to acquire my granddaddy pipes from my uncle that has about a dozen pipes stored away and likely never smoked since the early 70's. So I'm on a history mission.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
I don't know if it's in the DNA or not but I came from a long line of pipe smokers including a great aunt. They are all gone now. When I smoke a pipe it makes me think of old times, old ways & history, and that I like! The economy of this country, especially the southern economy was founded on three cash crops and one of those was Virginia tobacco.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Grandma Bev is the rock upon which the Earth turns. To answer the question, I think a taste for tobacco,

and perhaps nicotine, can be passed down generations. People have different responses. My mother, whose

dad smoked cigars, smoked the occasional cigarette but the pack always went stale; she just was never hooked.

She liked the drama and gesture, not the product. My dad chain smoked a pipe, just after breakfast to just

before bed. I enjoy a pipe, not to that extent. I'm like his dad, enjoy a bowl or two most days but not every day.

I'd guess there is some gene-controlled susceptibility to crave nicotine and perhaps other tobacco chemicals.

elduderino

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 4, 2014
St.Paul, MN
Yes the title was meant to be a joke and get attention Mr. Jud. It should also be noted I'm aware my punctuation and grammar sucks. It shall also be noted I composed this thread after returning home from Gramma Bevs and consuming a couple drinks each of her flavored moonshine she sent home with me.
What I find most interesting is that I stop at a crappy smoke shop to buy a carton of Amercan Spirits for $80.90! Gotta love the tax increase to support a losing Viking team and their new stadium with hired thugs for players...ideology for another day aside.
So I have an impulse buy of a Dr.Grabow Freehand and a pouch of CBW one day...The rest is history! I find this intuitive forum loaded with helpful gents such as your selfs. I don't really care for CBW after a few bowls. I go to a cigar geared B&M and the pipe tobacconist is there. Jackpot baby. He offers free smells of the house blends and offers free samples if I brought my pipe. I didn't bring my pipe. So I purchased my first MM Cob and sampled 4 free Bowls of different bacci. I played it safe and got a couple oz of Aro. Though he did point out his favorite house blend of "965" he dubbed the "big boy stuff". I later got an oz of "965". It was what I've expected from a pipe smoke from the word go.
Needless to say I've embraced Engish blends and starting Virginia blend like Stokkbyes Luxury Navy Flake.
Upon proof reading I've become sidetracked. I guess it's easy to do when index finger punching a phone keyboard.
In short I'm happy to have discovered that my granddad smoked pipe. Even more excited that I may be able to acquire a dozen pipes that are at least 50yrs old.

lucky695

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 2, 2013
my great-grandad smoked a pipe. I didn't get his pipes, my mother threw them out... but I got some of his old pipe tools... kinda cool. Spent many nights hanging out with him and his cherry blend.
I don't know about your grammar, but you didn't capitalize the thread title... like Kevin likes...

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
Can't say it does at my house. My Dad smoked a pipe for a very short time before I was born. That is the only person in my family that did.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
My Uncle Frank smoked a pipe for 75 years and was a huge influnce on me.
The other day, my dad made the comment, "I THINK he took that pipe out of his mouth to sleep"! :)
Both of my parents smoke cigarettes and thanks to my Uncle Frank ... I chose the pipe.

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
Ok, I'm 44. When my dad was a child, many people smoked a pipe. He smoked a pipe through my childhood. Back then it was not so odd to see a man smoking a pipe.
Today if you see someone smoking a pipe, it deserves a mention on the pipe board. It is downright unusual. So I don't think it is so much inherited as it is learned. We are a nostalgic lot.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Were that it was true! Pipe smokers would most probably be accorded all sorts of government protections with regard to all of the assorted smoking laws, tobacco taxes . . . we might even be able to write off pipe purchases (Dunhills all around guys!)and possibly smoking jackets, cleaners, tools and racks. Pipe smokers would become better dressed and all the accouterments would be plated with precious metals and jewel encrusted.
The government might also be persuaded to provide a stamp of some sort for needy pipers so they could purchase a monthly allotment of blends.
Where is the research!

Mar 30, 2014
wv
Good luck getting your grandpa's pipes. I'm sure he would have liked them to be used, rather than tucked in a drawer and forgotten about.

I think there is a predisposition to smoking for some. I have no idea what generation pipe man I am, but I know that at least the pipe goes back as far as the invention of photography for my family. Great story, and good luck tracking down those pipes. I have hunted for my great-great grandfathers pipe that he made. Usually most men back then were crafty with a knife, and he (according to ledgend) always carved a snake coiled around the shank.

frank13

Can't Leave
Oct 5, 2014
Bakersfield, CA
My grandfather smoked a pipe for as long as I can remember. I don't know what ever happened to his pipes. My da' always smoked cigs, and I had that same filthy habit for thirty years, myself. I'm definitely a convert to the pipe, now. I can't foresee the day that I ever go back to smoking cigs. Still, whenever I fire up some nice tobacco, I think of my grandfather for whom I am named. :puffpipe:

elduderino

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 4, 2014
St.Paul, MN
I'm named after my grandfather Donald whom I mentioned died when my dad was 10 yrs old.my dad wanted me to be named after Donald. My mom said no. How about Donavan instead? They agreed. Thankfully my mom is Irish and she got what she wanted. As I was growing she never allowed people to call me by Donny or Don. It's Donavan lol!
There is only one individual whom calls me Donny and that's my nephew Gavin. It should also be mentioned Gavin has always called me Uncle Donnysince he could speak. Never Don, Donny, or Donavan . Just Uncle Donny! My sister, Gavin's mom swears he just started asking about Uncle Donny one day. So he's my only exception.

Status
Not open for further replies.