PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
Okay, I did a little research on this and I think I'm probably fine, but figured I'd double check. Yesterday, while tossing the ball with the kid, I had the grand idea of smoking a little 1776 Tavern in my relatively new Peterson. I don't know why I didn't grab one of my cobs. I just didn't, okay! Well, an errant toss and a loose clench combined with my natural sporting abilities resulted in a dropped pipe. At first, everything seemed fine, until my wife picked up and handed me a small piece of black plastic that was a chip off the bottom of the bit end of the stem. I was not pleased!
After some reflection, I realized it was a very clean break and that the thing could probably be glued back on. So, that's what I did. I used Krazy Glue and reattached the chip. After letting it dry for an hour, I slipped my standard softie bit over the end and you really can hardly tell there's an issue. When you remove the softie the crack is visible, but not too bad. So, any issues I should be worried about here? The glue point is not anywhere that I'm going to be coming in contact with as it's not leaking out on to the surface of the bit. Plus, it's under the softie. From what I can find, the cured cyanoacrylate in the glue is probably safe in this application. Any hazards I can find appear to be associated with the liquid form of the glue and not in it's cured state. I do rinse my bits occasionally and am not sure how the glue will hold up over time to that and alcohol cleaning, but I figure it's worth a shot.

Jun 26, 2011
Pacific Northwest USA
I've read where the use of comparatively large amounts of cyanoacrylate is a not uncommon method of repairing bits that have been bitten through.
Prolly fine
Also, with either micro-mesh sanding pads or fine grit wet sanding paper you can probably smooth the damaged portion to where the crack is hardly visible.

scotrob

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 24, 2011
i think only time will tell here, but if its under the softie then it already has additional suppoert and i think the main issue here has to be smokability- if it still functions well, then there is nothing to worry about

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
Okay, an addendum here, I'm looking for anyone who can point me to specific/documented info, not their personal concern about this. I've looked on the net and at the MSDA for the product. I'm just looking for any further specifics.

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
I've read where the use of comparatively large amounts of cyanoacrylate is a not uncommon method of repairing bits that have been bitten through.
i think only time will tell here, but if its under the softie then it already has additional suppoert and i think the main issue here has to be smokability- if it still functions well, then there is nothing to worry about
I'm definitely not finding anything that says it should be a big issue. FYI, my addendum was not in any way targeted at either of your posts. I'm just trying to avoid the standard, "You gonna die!" responses. Because, I know that, yes, someday, I'm going to die! :)

scotrob

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 24, 2011
this glue is regarded as safe by both the US National Toxicology Program, its UK counterpart AND the FDA....it is approved as a medical grade glue and is regarded as a safer method of wound closure than suturing...
i really dont think u need have any concerns here RE health issues

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
Did you clench the stem in your teeth to help the glue set? That would definitely have to become your favorite pipe.
I did and, to be honest, I'm having some trouble detaching it from my lip. It was a little difficult sleeping last night.

mp31guitar

Lifer
Jun 28, 2011
I did and, to be honest, I'm having some trouble detaching it from my lip. It was a little difficult sleeping last night.
Wow! I think I finally found a way to smoke my pipe while sleeping too. Puffing 24/7, Pure Bliss. :lol:

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
If it is not a smooth repair, run the aforementioned micro mesh pad over the area. If you don't have any micromesh, some 2000 grit wet sandpaper will work fine as well. Polish with some Megiuars plastic polish and she should look like new.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Thanks for the info scotrob. I had thought I heard somewhere that those glues were used as liquid "sutures".

So I guess it could hardly be toxic in this case.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
I also wondered about this and read a lot of articles that said that super glue is acceptable for a pipe fix. I have used it on a cracked shank with no problems. Super glue should not transfer an carcinogens as far as ive read.

seanz

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2011
Southland NZ
Ionce used heat resistant super glue to gunk up a crack on a cherrywood i own, and that works fine in fact apart from the hairy palms its all good.

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
Just order a new stem from Peterson? Or perhaps your retailer has them in stock?
Well, I looked into that, but their website seems to indicate you can't just order stock stems and they need to be hand fitted to each pipe.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I used crazy glue on a lucite stem that broke off, because I wanted to keep the original stem (it has a crown inlay). The pipe is a Rungstead Seafarer, and I have never seen another one or found anything about that brand. I don't smoke it much, but it doesn't seem to have caused any issues with the pipe itself. I just avoid pulling out the stem on it now.

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
Okay, quick update, smoked the pipe this weekend, a little GL Pease Lagonda, and the bit held up fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.