PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

darwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 9, 2014
If it's an aromatic then the upcharge for aging would not normally be warranted in my view.

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
I was under the impression that Holiday Spirit doesn't change from year to year - it is just made in limited quantities each year. Anyone know if this is true or not and if so I would just buy the 2014 version since it is an aro. Unless of course you are missing this year as stated above.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
It's an aromatic. I'd just buy a new tin for $8.95 from smokingpipes.com.
Christmas Cheer is the straight VA that would be a great buy at $13 for a tin with five years age on it.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
It's an aromatic. I'd just buy a new tin for $8.95 from smokingpipes.com

Christmas Cheer is the straight VA that would be a great buy at $13 for a tin with five years age on it.
Ditto ... and at $13 that aged C.C. would be a steal!
My tin of C.C. from 2000 is begging to be opened this year and I have to decide

by next month if 15 years is long enough or if I should try for 20 years.
What would you guys do?

escioe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 31, 2013
My tin of C.C. from 2000 is begging to be opened this year and I have to decide

by next month if 15 years is long enough or if I should try for 20 years.
What would you guys do?
Whenever I look in the cellar and see a tin and think, 'well, it sounds great, but maybe I'll wait another X years,' I just think that most of this stuff is available if I want more, and that I shouldn't deny myself to get a pretty incremental improvement.
The other part is that I've found is that after 5 or 8 years or whatever, the returns diminish pretty steeply. I think after 5 years, probably 85% of the changes that are going to happen have happened in 85% of the blends I smoke. I've got a few tins I'm holding back, but only because I have multiples and I've smoked it at various ages and know I like it as it gets older.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Most guys look for aged flakes and Virginias, but I have found that aged Aros actually bite less if that was an issue in the first place. If I saw an aged Holiday Spirit I would jump on it. It is a good blend and I would think a few years on it would make it better. Just my 2 cents.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Just my 2 cents.
General consensus says that it's better smoke an aro relatively fresh and age the non aros.
I'm glad to here something positve about an aged aro as I'm about to pop a tin of Mac Baren Navy Mixture with about 5 years on it and I've been dubious to say the least.
Thanks for the tip shaintiques.

Status
Not open for further replies.