Is it the pipe or tobacco that's relaxing?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazyhog

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 18, 2015
Hey all,
I recently returned to the pipe after over a year. I did enjoy the simplicity of small cigars and cigarillos, but the flavor could never match pipe tobacco. I have also found that smoking a pipe definitely relaxes me. I never really experienced this with any cigar. Do you think it's the pipe or the tobacco or both?

loomongous

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 12, 2015
Colorado
I am in the both camp. Too much nicotine though is not relaxing for me. Debilitating would be the word.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I think it's both and the mechanics of piping. Doesn't matter which blend or pipe, so I guess the mechanics are the comfort and relaxation to me.

Jan 8, 2013
I'm going to say the combination of both. The meditative cadence as you draw smoke, the warmth of the bowl in your hand (unless your clenching) and the calming characteristics of the tobacco.

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
I think the pipe and the tobacco are only two constituents of a much larger set that result in the experience.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
Not only do I find a pipe more relaxing than a cigar, I have found a cigar more relaxing to smoke shoved in a pipe than in the hand. In saying that, when I have smoked a cigar inside out of the wind it has been nearly as relaxing as a pipe...just not as satisfying in flavour, ritual or tactile appeal.
Isaac
oh, and what Warren said.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
I think it is both the pipe and the tobacco. Just sitting there with a nice empty pipe puts you in the relaxed mood. Look at how people love to even discuss pipe tobacco, look at it, fondle it, smell it? They make an art out of packing it into the pipe. Combine the two, a beautiful pipe full of a rich smoldering tobacco and off you are into another world of sensory delights where life is just a bit simpler and slower.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
It is the ritual of preparing the tobacco, choosing the pipe, packing the tobacco, lighting and enjoying.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I would find cigars much more relaxing actually as a pipe I smoke daily and it doesn't take very long, a cigar is a once in a while treat and I find it much more meditative then smoking a pipe actually. I can only smoke a cigar sitting down, in ideal conditions (inside or nice weather) and depending on the size of it I can be there for 2 hours or so. I also find you can't let a cigar go out and then relight it and have it taste better, also the sheer amount of nicotine involved I find it extremely relaxing, sometimes I'm plastered to my chair for a half hour after.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
Even taking a weeks worth of smoked pipes on a friday evening and cleaning them up is relaxing for me...I wonder if over on the cigar forums they talk about how a pipe is just not quite as relaxing as a stick. I can imagine the arguement about all that stressful prep work and if you dont get it dried, packed, tamped, false lit, tamped, lit, sipped, pipecleanered perfectly then the thing does not even give you a nice smoke!

Mar 1, 2014
In my case, definitely the pipe.

Collecting them may even be more fun than smoking them.
Ironically the Nicotine is a major problem with Cigars, pipe tobacco seems to go two or three bowls before it gives me any reason to put the pipe down, I can easily sit through a movie and walk away. Halfway through a cigar I have to start pacing myself to avoid the spins (well, I think my last cigar was a Triple Maduro, actually I don't think I've tried a mild cigar, but when you have to pay $10 tax per stick it doesn't seem worthwhile to get anything less).

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
So whether the cigar or the pipe is the most relaxing depends on which you sit down for. I sit down for both!

Status
Not open for further replies.