Is It The Look or The Smoking Property That Makes You Decide on a Pipe?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
For me the most important thing about the pipes I enjoy is the smoking properties. I used to buy pipes based on looks and the quality of the grain, but found out after years of experience that the smoking property of a pipe is more important. Now when I am looking at pipes the first thing that goes through my mind is how well do I think that pipe will smoke. Does it have thick enough walls,is the stem design what I like, will it smoke my favorite blends as well as possible, is it the correct size and weight, is it from an artisan or company that I know will provide the smoking experience I will enjoy. These are the questions I answer before I buy a pipe today. I have bought pipes that I was not crazy about the look but I knew would make a great smoker. I don't buy pipes that are abhorrent to me but if it is a look I can live with but think it will be a superb smoker, I go for it.
So how do you guys choose your pipes, does looks have the biggest factor for you or is it smoking properties?
For example, here are a few pipes that I liked the look of but was not crazy about them, but thought they would be superb smokers and as it turned out they are.
Rad Davis, definitely not crazy about the color and the blast is just average for a Rad.

004-009-5048_zps81a5504c.jpg

Rad Davis, not crazy about the color of the stem and it was my first brandy so was not sure about how thick the walls were, turned out to be an awesome smoker.

DSC01823.jpg

Rad Davis, really don't like the color at all, but it is an incredible smoker, one of my favorites.

E1628-1.jpg

Jul 12, 2011
I think it has to be a perfect balance of both...but smoking properties

is #1 over everything else...otherwise it is a deal breaker for me. Since

I only get to have a smoke twice a day; start and end of my day, each

smoke to me has to be perfect.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
For me it's a little of both. First is a brand I trust. Since my pockets aren't too deep, that usually means a Stanwell or Sav. I prefer billiards, so I start with that and go from there. Of course I like a thick walled bowl, but some of my pipes with what might be called "average" thickness smoke very well (my Stanwell billiard and Mastro de Paja come to mind).
mastro-paja2-600x364.jpg

I do have a L'Anatra with thick walls that is a great smoker too:
lanatra2-600x455.jpg

rotschefeller

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2012
Köln, Germany
Smoking quality is definitely more important, but how often do you get to try a pipe before you buy it? I usually go from recommendations and past experiences, if I have liked something from that manufacturer before, or if the pipe has some quality leading me to believe that it will smoke well, I'm happy. But after that I look for a pipe that fits my aesthetic tastes.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
IMO there's no way to know if any given pipe will be a good smoker. So I go by shape and chamber dimensions.

Lately, the stem and button shape has become increasingly important -- with thinner being better.

dlattim

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 27, 2012
After aesthetics the first thing I look at is the stem. If a pipe catches my attention and the stem appears appears bulky or fat to me I skip it. I clench about 85% of the time, therefore I want a thin and smooth stem. Something like a fishtail is great. A small or thin button is mandatory. Curved or straight doesn't really matter. Vulcanite or acrylic are both good for me. I buy estate pipes only so a well known name with good history tells me about all I need to know about smoking quality. As far as the aesthetics I mentioned, I like a moderate silhouette. Nothing to far away from the standard designs. The way out and overtly large are not for me. The pipe has to be light and easy to clench.

chubbster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2013
I tend to buy commissions, when I want a new pipes. The occasional estate hen it works out or me.
I go with pipes that I know will smoke well, from an artisan who is easy toget along with and toss out ideas and receive feedback. I like pipes under five inches with at least a 1/4 bend. I only buy sandblast or rusticated when I buy new from an artisan. I prefer the feel, and they seem to smoke a bit cooler to me ( that could be my way of justification), and the price is usually substantially cheaper... Usually ( think Cooke)...
I am therefore getting both thigs I want. An aesthetically pleasing pipe, that smokes great. If I don't like the way the pipe looks or feels, I probably won't reach for it often. I know some Savinellis I had years ago were great smokers, but I didn't care for the looks and finish of the pipes.

petergunn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 3, 2013
I've been transitioning to smaller pipes after some dental issues so bit shape and bowl size matter now, nothing larger than group 4 no full bent or straight. All of this plus a change in what catches my eye shape wise has really narrowed my buying, brand and finish are next and finally price within a range $80.00- 300.00 new or estate.

mustanggt

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 6, 2012
I started out buying pipes purely for what looked good to me. I like classic shapes so that is where I started. As I gained more experience and knowledge my tastes in shapes stayed the same but reputation and smoking quality is paramount now.

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
Buying for the smoking properties makes more sense, but every pipe I've purchased has been because initially I liked the appearance. It has to be pleasing to my eye. I've heard great things about churchwardens over the years, but I've never had the desire to try one since I really don't like how they look.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
My first priority is aesthetics within my budget.

If it doesn't appeal to my aesthetic sense, I won't waste my time with any further examination.

I'll generally have an idea of what I want, and find three or four that I like the looks of.

Then, I'll break out the pipe cleaners and check them for ease of passage.

Next, I'll give the quarter-finalists a thorough going over; checking for proper drilling, finish, any flaws, etc., and the stem fits well (not too loose or tight and is smooth with the shank), and seems to be substantial enough... to clinch, I'll choose two semi-finalists.

It's critical (to me) at this point to not talk myself into a pipe, the more I like it the harder it will be to put down.

Then; after eliminating one of the two, I'll just handle/hold the finalist for several minutes and see if it's comfortable...

If it is easy to hold, fits my hand comfortably, I am really satisfied with its "looks", and I can't bring myself to put it down, it'll go home with me.
:puffy:

erichbaumer

Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
Both are important. I'm really picky about aesthetics, if I don't absolutely love the way a pipe looks I won't buy it. It's why I haven't really gotten into cobs, which smoke well but just aren't my thing, though I do enjoy the one I have. But if I ended up with a pipe that just wouldn't smoke well I don't think I'd keep it.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
I'm with cortez. I go by shape then chamber dimensions. I've noticed that over the past couple years as I have grown my collection I seem to focus on a particular shape for a while; acquiring a few examples then move on to something different. At first I was crazy for the Peterson Systems Then I drifted into bulldogs and straight pipes. I got into lovats then as a holder and not a clencher I found the canadian shape more comfortable to hold. Weight is not a big deal to me but the size of the tobacco chamber is very important.

4dotsasieni

Jan 6, 2013
"Is It The Look or The Smoking Property That Makes You Decide on a Pipe?"
Yes.
But, that said, since I know I like the smoking properties of a Peterson System pipe, I'll favour pipes having similar design features or qualities.
I used to prefer straight shapes for the simplicity of their smoke flow, but now, in my dotage, I'm more into bents IF they have some of the System pipe features. In terms of looks, my favourites are bent Rhodesian or similar styles.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
I go off of a vibe I get from the pipe. While I think that's based on looks and feel, it usually relates to how well I think it will smoke.
Sometimes there's just something about a pipe that says "Me! I'm the one." Even if it looks like 10 others.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The pipe has to have good smoking characteristics, but you seldom get to try a pipe before

you buy it, so you are evaluating the traits you think will make for a good smoke like bowl size

and thickness, quality of drilling and stem alignment, care and craftsmanship, etc. However,

pipe smoking is a little like dining, and a significant part of the experience is in the presentation,

so a fine smoking pipe that is a visual turn-off probably won't get smoked. So I would never

reject a pipe in my price range just because it was really great to look at, if it held some promise

to smoke well. Another consideration: Many pipes are just so-so smokers until after they are

broken in, or even some time after that. It has happened to me a number of times that pipes

just dog along for months, as an acceptable smoke but nothing special, and then they just

bloom. I think it is a combination of carbon in the bowl, maybe breaking in the draw so the

air flow is good, drying out the bowl, and maybe improved judgement about which tobacco

the pipe "prefers." It's a little witchy but true. Finally, there are pipes that impress pipe

lovers -- rare, unusual, visibly expensive, etc. And there are others that quirkily appeal mostly

only to you -- a well-charred cob, the 30-year-old drugstore pipe, etc. It smokes great, but

the beauty is in the eye of the beholder. When you need a great smoke, it looks beautiful

every time.

mealston

Lurker
Mar 18, 2013
There are days when I grab a 6" straight for the hugh hefner look. Around the house, I smoke bents and free-hands. Jeans/Flannels or plaids call for my bent meerschaums. My on-the-go pipes are the dunhill bulldog knockoffs that Medico made decades back- notably the whitewall....meerschaum lined, real briar, very comfortable stems.

Status
Not open for further replies.