Is It Possible to Get a Fitted Case Made?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

12 Fresh Dunhill Pipes
24 Fresh Rattray's Pipes
12 Fresh Winslow Pipes
3 Fresh Doctor's Pipes
New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Yes. I've seen them in leather and also felt. I don't know a lead to help you out, but they can definitely be custom made. Good luck.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I looked into this a couple of years ago, and the short answer was no, unless you were willing to send the pipes to Turkey to have a case made. There are cases you can buy for pipes, but so far, I haven't found someone supplying the traditional fitted case to order, and I'm unwilling to send my pipes to Turkey. If someone is making the traditional fitted pipe case I'd like to know who it is.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I suppose it would depend on what exactly you are looking for and willing to pay for. Wood? Metal? Leather? Find a craftsman, show him a similar case or detailed drawing and get an estimate. It's gonna be labor intensive so, you will pay good moneys. And, give the maker plenty of lead time.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I know someone with lots of experience, knowledge, and connections in both the PipeWorld and manufacturing in general, and after several years of trying to source the paper-thin leathers that were once widely available, he's determined that they are effectively extinct. (At least in small amounts)
Latches and hinges, ditto. (Though they could be scavenged/salvaged)
The shells are just any sort of soft wood. Balsa will work fine. Chamois, felt, or velour for lining is readily available.

Zack Hamric (one of our mods and pipemakers) has made some cases for his pipes, as well as a few other pipe makers, including Walt Cannoy. I don't know whether he would just make a case, and if he did, it probably wouldn't be cheap. It seems that Zack had a thread on here about making the cases. He is having some medical issues, but he should be back after Christmas.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I have a couple of cased pipes form Scottie Piersel, but they're not the traditional English fitted case, where the exact profile of the pipes have been cut away to provide an exact fit. Scottie did a nice job with a hinged case that she fitted with a padded interior. So if any of these leads turn out to be an actual fitted case, I'll be happy to know that that can actually, really, be done.

fordm60

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 19, 2014
With George and Sable saying it cannot be done it probably cannot be done. But I think Condorlover1 has a gentleman that does cases for his beautiful meerschaum Cuttys. I also point out it has been over two years since we had the discussion in question. I could easily be misremembering.

chilly65

Might Stick Around
Nov 13, 2018
When Bill Taylor (Ashton) died, I commissioned Jim Craig to make 20 commemorative pipes in Bill's honor. All the pipes were in a black fitted case made to fit the pipe precisely. You might contact Jim to find out who made the cases.

Mike

transpose

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 15, 2018
If you intended to line the inside with felt and the outside with leather or faux leather, the perfect fit half-shells could be made fairly easy with a 3D printer. I have extremely durable materials that would no doubt be much stronger than most of the cases that I’ve seen. I do my 3D modeling on SolidWorks. A pipe would be tricky, but completely doable. This would be a great option IF you are more concerned about functionality. Obviously, there is only a fraction of art, love, sweat, time, etc. that would come with the case versus a hand made wooden case. That said, something tells me that they might just soak the balsa wood (or some paper composite material), and then form it around the pipe.
Sable- if Turkey is the answer, I wonder if you could just have your pipes modeled and 3D printed, then ship the box containing $2 of plastic to Turkey.

doctorbob

Mar 18, 2014
Grand Ledge, Michigan
Thanks for all the replys! I'll try to get a hold of some of the artisans mentioned.
Transpose- the idea about modelling the pipes to send a plastic double is a very good one indeed.
Rob

ron123

Jan 28, 2015
Park Ridge, IL
13085911815_609dc5860f_b.jpg

As previously mentioned, Walt Cannoy made custom fitted cases for his meerschaums, and Dunhill book-style cases for another series of his pipes. Not only were they fitted, but he made the hardware himself as well.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
Probably a stupid idea. But why couldn't you take some nice felt and lay it loose inside a box. Then close the box. Blow in some spray non-toxic foam through a hole in the box that would form a shape with the felt around the pipe and firm up?
Or...you could wrap your pipe with saran wrap and make a plaster cast easy enough to make a replica.
BTW ^^^^ that case is spectacular.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Cases are traditional with Meers. Often Meers come with these. Otherwise, I'd go for a nice leather zipper pipe pouch, many of which hold at least several pipes.

Status
Not open for further replies.