PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

thomasmartin

Can't Leave
Jul 13, 2015
Unesco world heritage
I smoked Haddo's some ten years back. Yesterday I retried it and was somewhat surprised by how sweet this blend is. Back then I was mainly smoking aromatics but today I smoke English blends, and rarely a Va based blend, exclusively. Is there some flavoring or casing in Haddo's? I mean, that sweetness cannot entirely be "natural", or can it?

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
I don't believe it qualifies as an aromatic. Like all tobaccos (all) there are toppings that help enhance the tobaccos natural flavors.
I have found that non aromatics can be amazingly sweet, especially aged. 2001 Christmas Cheer, 2006 Anni Kake, and 2006 Haddos have all blown me away. Heck, I still remember the first time I smoked McC Blackwoods Flake and found it mouth wateringly sweet. That's when I found my pipe tobacco sweet spot.

Technically, I think it is an aromatic, as it is topped with "brandy?" or a liquor of some sort. This dominates the initial tin note for me upon opening a fresh tin, but after I let it set for a while that aroma dissipates. It's not listed as an aro, so I am just speaking to the technicality of the topping being present. It definitely is not a goopy style aro, as with some of the blends where you cannot taste any tobacco in the smoke.
I should mention, this blend makes me salivate just thinking about it. It is in my top five favorite blends. :puffy:

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Brandy is what comes to mind for me too. Anybody's guess though...

I think the word "flavored" should be used, as distinct from aromatic.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
I read a definition of aros I liked but I'm forgetting who posted it. An aro is any blend whose casings/flavors overwhelms the taste of the tobacco.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
If Haddo's is aromatic, than I believe all Navy Flakes should be as well.
+1 to Cosmic- open opening a fresh tin the brandy/liquor note is almost overwhelming...in fact I don't care for it at all. After time is softens drastically. With some age Haddos' is a top 5 smoke for me.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
I always use the descriptions of tobacco blends on pipesandcigars.com

mcitinner1
I agree and it also pairs in this case to what is being added by the guys who have tried it. Sniclefritz! Every time I say I am through trying new smokes, you guys bring up a new one I have to try :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.