Is gurgling related to the pipe or tobacco?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jason64

Might Stick Around
Dec 12, 2012
I am breaking in a new pipe and I get a lot of gurgle. This doesnt happen to me with my other pipes though and my tobacco is my usual CH. That being said, I am wondering if the gurgle is because of the tobacco or the pipe.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Could be both. Tobacco that's too wet can cause a gurgle.
A pipes physics can cause a gurgle. If moisture from the smoke gathers in the stem, it can run down and collect in the bottom of the bowl.
Even YOU can cause a gurgle if you're a wet smoker.

jason64

Might Stick Around
Dec 12, 2012
my smoking method has not changed, so as the tobacco, therefore it has to be the pipe. what physics can make it prone to gurgle?

jason64

Might Stick Around
Dec 12, 2012
yikes, how can I tell if there is bad drilling or tight airway? especially bad drilling

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
Gurgling is most often caused by pufffng too rapidly, often due to poor packing or excess moisture in the tobacco, but some pipes are prone to gurgling,.
What is the shape of the tobacco chamber? Conical bowls have a tendency to gurgle because they funnel moisture to the draft hole. Don’t be afraid to use a pipe cleaner mid-smoke to absorb excess moisture.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Run a pipe cleaner through your pipe when you smoke. I usually do that at least once per smoke. Also, give your pipe some time to break in, the gurgle may go away when your pipe has cake and is properly seasoned. If this continues to be a problem, dry out your tobacco. You’re pretty much guaranteed that it’s properly drilled if it’s a Tinsky.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Conical bowls have a tendency to gurgle
I always had a problem from gurgle with cylindrical chambers. Conical chambers have never given me any issue. That's one of the reasons I have so many of these.
20180903_225500.jpg

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
The only pipe I have that is a gurgler, has... well... a conical chamber. If they don't gurgle for Embers, I suspect smoking technique might have something to do with it.
I'm not saying you've poor technique, Jason; but I think we all draw differently given the small differences in our mouths' anatomy.
Try drying the toby first, as suggested. Start eliminating variables.

64alex

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2016
Also material of the pipe has an effect. Meer, clay and morta absorb more moisture than briar and so are less prone to gurgling. Also cob are less prone. As a matter of fact the only pipe which can have some gurgling is my briar, no issue with all the other materials with me.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
A Tinsky pipe has zero chance of bad drilling or restricted airway, in my opinion that's more of a mass production pipe issue.
To answer your question though: bad drilling is easy to spot. Often the pipe won't pass a pipe cleaner because the airway in the stem doesn't line up with the draft hole in the shank, or the draft hole is way too high, low, off center, etc. It will be obvious to the eye.
Good suggestions above re: breaking in, etc. but I would offer one additional suggestion in the same vein: Tinsky pipes seem to have an open draw (like many artisan pipes) and it could be that your ordinary and normal smoking cadence with other pipes is a bit too fast for the open draw Tinsky and is heating things up a little more and causing the gurgling. That's just speculation, of course, but it's a possibility.

jason64

Might Stick Around
Dec 12, 2012
Very very good point, I noticed the draw is different but I blew it up. That was an excellent pickup, many thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.