PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I can readily only think of a couple, the first two.
1. A suitable tool or pipe - I believe we can all agree on this. What is suitable is open for argument of course.
2. An acceptable blend - one which the smoker enjoys is absolutely necessary for an enjoyable smoke.
3. Draw? Nope, Personal preference!
4. Pipe material? Nope, personal preference!
5. Smoking rate? Uh uh! Certainly no perfect rate for all smokers.
6. Pipe resting? No rule hard and fast rule here. A resting period, if necessary depends mostly on the pipe material and use rate.
7. Tobacco must be dry/moist! Again personal preference as long as ignition can be achieved.
8. The pipe must pass a cleaner! We're talking new pipes obviously not used clogged ones. Hardly worth consideration as a rule.
9. Soft flame lighters only! An argument generator if there ever was one.
10. Pipes must be dedicated to tobacco types! Some do, some don't. No rule here.
I could go on I suppose. Can anyone offer up other "etched in stone" rules with regard to smoking a pipe. Not personal preferences nor what works for you, just a rule that should not be violated if an acceptable smoking experience is to be achieved.
The question is posed seriously but, I fully expect a bit of levity. I'd be disappointed if there isn't any.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
I'm not so good with rules. All you've done is provided me with a list of specific items with which to rebel. I'm very busy and rebelling takes a great deal of time and energy.... so.... Thanks for that ;)

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Do not draw air through the stem by placing your mouth around the bowl and pulling smoke that way.
Edit: Didn't see previous post till after this went out.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
11. Never smoke a pipe while taking a shower.
That seems to be one rule I always forget and to this day it still gets me pissed off.

smokinfireman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 17, 2015
Keep a paper towel in your pocket to clean the tenon or scoop of the stem or dab a speck of tobacco off your tongue. Never looks good spitting all over the place.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Heh. In our house, garbage is wet; trash is dry. But I can see the problem! Even when I chuck a match into the garbage, I douse it in water. Plus there's a lid on it, too. Belt and suspenders I guess.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
I know there is not really supposed to be rules, but there are certainly suggestions that make for a more pleasant smoking experience, I have seen people puffing as hard as they can to maintain optimum water levels in their pipe, and I am completely convinced that they would have a more pleasing experience from sipping for example...
Isaac

Status
Not open for further replies.