PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Someone suggested single malt Irish whisky for Irish coffee, but if I invest in that, I won't be

throwing it in coffee. I just got a junior size of Jameson's to spike a cup or two of coffee, a

wee dram to start my flagging circulation. I think I will go with my favorite coffee and brewing

method, of which we each have our own, and carefully measure in the whisky by guessing.

All this at home, with no driving afterwards. Go easy; it tends to put you down, then wake you

up completely, well before dawn.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Hmmmm... I think I'll stick to coffee flavoured coffee and Guinness flavoured Guinness for St. Patrick's day. I'm not beyond smoking out of a green pipe, but drinking green beer just isn't in the cards.
-- Pat

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I introduced my wife to Irish Coffee at Shannon Airport where it was first concocted. My mistake! She loved it! I think the key is home-made whipped cream. Of course a good coffee and an Irish whiskey are requisite. Any whiskey without the "e" is not Irish.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
warren, I can never remember when the "e" in whiskey is and is not required; thanks. I didn't realize Shannon Airport

was the mother church of Irish coffee. I've been there. The folks at the coffee counter were kind about rehearsing our

use of roundabouts, but it was the wrong time of day (from our point of view) for Irish coffee. My wife does great homemade

whip cream from scratch, so we have that part. (She's a Missouri farm girl who looks at a cake mix like she might have to

shoot it. That is, she does everything from the basic ingredients.)

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
mso489: You are most welcome! The legend (and there is continuing discussion regarding the minutiae of the event, all agree however that it was Shannon where the momentous event occurred.) is a plane en route to US had to lay over due to weather. The chef at Foyne's Airbase, one Joe Sheridan, (now Shannon International) concocted the "Irish Coffee" as a diversion for the passengers.
If you've got the cream than you are well on your way to a grand Irish Coffee. A bit of the Jameson and a bit of coffee and you are there. I envy you having a real baker in the house.

Dec 24, 2012
I love them. I use basic Bushmills. They key is to warm up the Whiskey before putting it in the coffee. I just use the microwave to heat the whiskey. The key is freshly whipped cream. Still can't get it to taste as good as it does in Eire, but I think that is because the dairy over there is so delicious.
Oh, and one more tip - make the coffee extra strong so the coffee flavour still comes through after the whiskey is added and dilutes it.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
One should preheat the glass also.
Heavy cream for the whipped cream would be a grand idea.
This drink is meant to be rich and served warm. Double cream, rich full-bodied coffee, brown sugar only, and only Irish whiskey. Bushmills is located in the UK, but as it is pot stilled and three times distilled, glory be!, in the Irish way a very fine whiskey. A bit of Bushmills is even drunk now and then Ireland itself! :D

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
IRISH COFFEE

1 ½ oz. of Jameson Irish whiskey

5-7 oz. hot coffee or 2 shots of espresso

1-2 tsp. brown sugar

Fresh whipped cream
Run hot water slowly over a glass mug until it’s at room temperature or hotter, and then dry it (pouring hot coffee into a cold glass could cause it to crack)

Add brown sugar to mug

Pour in whiskey

Add coffee or espresso, leaving room at top for whipped cream

Stir until sugar is completely dissolved

Set whipped cream on drink (hint - pour the heavy whipping cream over the back of a spoon)
Do not stir (drink stays warmer longer with the cream sitting on top)

anglesey

Can't Leave
Jan 15, 2014
I was reading through this thread and ways of improving an irish coffee were popping into my head, until I read dochudson's post, which is exactly how I'd do it, even down to warming the glass before hand :D
Also, warren, just because bushmills is distilled within the geographic boundaries of the UK doesn't mean it isn't Irish whiskey. Cause it certainly ain't Scotch or that Welsh crap!

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
I did not say it was not Irish whiskey. As I stated, it is distilled in the Irish manner. So it is made true to the Irish way, on the island in a region where many of the population consider themselves to be British first and Irish second. This does not detract from the whiskey. Further, if I am to be politically correct, the Irish Republic, Eire or Eyre, considers North Ireland to be a part of the Republic. So, indeed, it is an Irish whiskey.
Sorry if my wording misled anyone.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
On st. Paddy's Day I will make a tender corned beef brisket with all the trimmings. After dinner, I will make a batch of Irish coffees and retire to my cave with my friends, where we will light up and enjoy. I will be inaugurating my Peterson 2014 Canadian.

ravkesef
[/url][/img]

judd

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 3, 2014
Dochudson has my mouth watering as I copy and paste his recipe. I have all the ingredients and now I can 't wait until St. Patricks day. Tomorrow may be to late, maybe tonight!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Printed off dochudson's recipe, and will add peck's touch of warming the whiskey. I think I'm ready for 3/17.

pseudonym

Lurker
May 10, 2012
I just use Jameson's or Bushmill's. Also, if you like the whole green drinks thing: I always put a few drops of green food colouring in the cream for St Paddy's coffee.

sfsteves

Lifer
Aug 3, 2013
SF Bay Area
Irish Coffee did, in fact, originate at Shannon Airport ... but, the best Irish Coffee to be found in the US is at the Buena Vista Café in San Francisco ... theirs is a carefully crafted imitation of that served at Shannon and it's been a SF highlight for more than 60 years ...
http://www.thebuenavista.com/irishcoffee.html

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
I believe there might be a bit of hyperbole in your claim Steve. In how many pubs, bars and taverns across the US have you drunk an Irish Coffee? Could you be a bit less municipally chauvinistic? I realize Carol Doda was a product of San Francisco but, beyond that there's not much going for your little mission town. Our earth-quake in '64 was bigger that yours!
Best Irish Coffee in the US indeed!

sean81

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 26, 2013
The Dubliner in Kansas City makes an excellent Irish Coffee. They have several small oak barrells (I say small, it holds 5 bottles) that they keep Jameson in. Now I'm not sure if keeping the whiskey in these barrells is doing anything more to the whiskey or if was just a placebo effect, but they had the best Jameson and Jameson drinks I've ever had (noting that I have yet to go to Ireland, but I do keep always have a bottle of Jameson on hand and a buddy of mine bought me a bottle of the Rearist Vintage Reserve for my wedding last May).

Status
Not open for further replies.