PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnparker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 22, 2013
Would like to try an oriental tobacco. Russ suggested trying McClelland's blends, and I read that Roth is trying some of their non-Latakia, oriental tobaccos. I was thinking of trying those (without Latakia to begin with), but was lately reading about Tashkent from Peretti. Wondering if Tashkent would be a good one-shot (less expensive) introduction? I have tried both Sunjammer and Magnum Opus which I believe are suppose to be oriental-forward, and I do enjoy them. My likes would be something rich and exotic with some sweetness (or at least nothing bitter). Would welcome suggestions.

mirain

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 5, 2011
I recommend McClelland's 2045 which is sold in bulk. It's been a favorite of mine since discovering it two years ago.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
I am trying some of McClelland's Grand Oriental Line right now. I'm really enjoying the Yenice Agonya. It is a nice Oriental forward blend on a base of different virginia's.

jgriff

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
I would think the easiest way to experiment with Orientals without Latakia would probably be Peter Stokkebye Turkish. It's widely available in bulk (and pretty cheap to boot).
The McClelland Grand Orientals line is probably the best place to try out blends featuring specific Oriental leaves. I haven't worked through all of them yet but the Smyrna/Izmir is probably the one that sticks out to me as the "classic" oriental.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
McClellands 2045, Mixture 1, and PS Turkish ... I'm making notes. Sound good. I've used CD Izmir as

a blending (or really mixing, no aging or pressure) tobacco, and it lends a really grand undertone flavor.

Even stored carefully, it caught a bit of mold, but I picked out the bad leaf and am using the rest, no prob.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Like Briarfriar said, McClelland Oriental #1 to start;
  • #8 if you like red Va's;

#6 if you will tolerate a pinch of Latakia;

#12 & #14 for bolder Latakia presence.
Hearth & Home Marquee Series Sweet & Savory is a riot of exotic Oriental flavors.
And from the Grand Oriental Series, my favorites are Classic Samsun and Smyrna #1 in that order.
A neat tip from Roth is to mix Izmir blending tobacco with Virginia. It's a great combination, and it's fun to

see how the character of the blend changes as you incrementally increase the percentage of Izmir.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
I'm very grateful to Roth for introducing me to PS Turkish. Love the stuff.
For oriental/Virginia blends, I would recommend Early Morning Pipe and GL Pease Cairo.

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
How about:

McClelland Bulk Avenue Blend (Dunhill Match) A.M. Pipe (Oriental blended with Bright and Red Virginias)

Thanks rothnh, I tried Peter Stokkebye's Turkish Blend via Pipes and Cigars. I found it dry and cigarette-y, and had made up my mind that orientals might not be for me. I will have to give it another shot.
But, how can blends carrying the name "Peter Stokkebye Turkish Blend" be different from different vendors? I would think that having the name on the bulk would mean that it was from Peter Stokkebye, or is it just that some vendors have let it dry out beyond reclaiming?

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I would go with english oriental by newminister, it's sweet and really has what I consider an oriental flavour. The mcClelland grand orientals series I consider to be more of a virginia with a slight taste of an oriental leaf, but I wouldn't consider it an oriental blend. English oriental has the sweet flavour of what I consider when I'm looking for an oriental, as turkish although technically be considered oriental I think most people consider china/japan/etc... to be oriental. Plus at 35$ a pound you can't go wrong, I bought a pound without even trying it and am extremely pleased with it.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
McClelland makes a "Blending Turkish,"
I had good luck mixing it with 5100 and a miniscule pinch of deertongue (per 4oz. of 5100).

I did this in a side by side comparison with C&D Izmir, and I thought the Blending Turkish was much better for 5100.

johnparker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 22, 2013
Wow! Certainly got recommendations! After much studying and considering, I think I have winnowed the list down to a few.
Classic Samsun: because folks said something about Camel cigarettes. Some 60 years ago I had an "Egyptian" cigarette, and the aroma has always haunted me, even showing up sometimes in regular cigarettes. Plus it has no Latakia. And it is a single leaf, so I would get an idea of what that one tastes like.
Venice Agonya: because one reviewer talked to sweetness. And it is not a mixture.
Oriental #8: good reviews, only a bit of Latakia. Have the impression #1 is less flavored,
2045: although a mixture of orientals, it can be had inexpensively (always an appeal). Plus I have some 5100 to mix it with if it comes to that.
Will do more reviewing before time to order, but those are my thoughts now. Certainly appreciate all the replies!

johnparker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 22, 2013
Over my cold enough to try a sample of Tashkent that I received. Most enjoyable! Smooth, creamy, subtle sweetness, and spicy in a ginger/cinnamon curry kind of way. The Latakia was there to add some cool, exotic woodiness to the experience. Also have a sample of Oriental #40 which I will try next to compare. Then I may try to conjure up a bit of Royal Blend.
Have learned to appreciate that Latakia is not necessarily harsh, and beginning to think I would be happier with blends rather than more "pure" orientals.

jkenp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2013
NW Indiana
The one English I smoke is Proper English by Peter Stokkebye. It very middle of the road. I smoke it a few times a week.

Status
Not open for further replies.