PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Certainly a compendium!—but if I were a new smoker faced with reading and comprehending the longer tomes, (last one is 169 pages!) I don't know if I'd ever start! :)
In the last one, he posits that flake tobacco was born out of sailors on long voyages trying to keep tobacco from drying out. (!!) This on wooden ships at sea, where getting too dry would be a miracle unless in irons at the equator. Minimizing storage space, another reason for pressing into flakes he cites, would seem to be the impetus for flake origination.

danhester

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2016
Right on! WHen I was first getting into pipes, I loved reading this kind of stuff. In fact, a couple of the articles that you list were those that I'd stumbled upon.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
When I first got into pipes, I had no idea there was literature on the subject, and the internet didn't exist.

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
+1 Duane, I had no idea there was so much to smoking a pipe. If I'd known about all these techniques, methods and all the overthinking that goes along with it I never would have started :mrgreen:

easterntraveler

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 29, 2012
I appreciate the post. I found trial and error to be more enjoyable than reading a bunch of articles.

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
When I first started all I had was a little brochure that came with a Dr Grabow. It recommended honey to help build a cake.

Status
Not open for further replies.