PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

latbomber

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2013
Introducing one of my best friends to the hobby this week and I can't decide what the best tobacco would be. He has never smoked anything before. An aromatic would be good and unoffensive but could bite and possibly gurgle. I have some light Englishes but I fear that might even be too strong. Has anyone had experience with a total beginner? I'm giving him a new cob so the pipe itself shouldnt be a problem.

hunterwold1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 27, 2012
Boswell's Northwoods might be a good place to start. When I had my first bowl my friend shared his Shenandoah blend from Georgetown Tobacco. I really liked that.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
I don't smoke too many aros, but have enjoyed CAO Eileen's Dream. To me, it was the coolest smoking aro I've tried. And advise him to sip slow.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
1/2 Carter Hall 1/2 properly dried Lane 1Q would be my choice.
+1
Or just 1Q alone. It's not my fav, but it's so universally enjoyed and it's a light, easy smoke too.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
1Q is what I learned with. The cob is a great idea - filtered or non?
I was introduced to the Falcon metal pipes by a forum member, this has given me a consistantly cool smoke. If your friend enjoys the pipe, he might want to go with a Falcon - 4noggins carries them.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If I were there, I'd give him Lanes LL-7, which I find a little more beguiling than 1Q, but since 1Q is

more readily available, I think that's the one. Also, nothing wrong with Peter Stokkebye's Nougat,

sold as North Sea by Tinder Box. These are all flavorful but relatively mild aromatics that shouldn't

scare off a beginner. Don't lecture, but let him know that's it's okay to re-light; some beginners think

they are screwing up if they can't keep the pipe lit. A cob is a perfect first pipe. I think you'll soon have

a happy camper.

Status
Not open for further replies.