PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
I suspected as much. But I figure they can handle heat well, considering they're kiln-dried hotter than any tobacco ever gets while burning.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
I've only smoked one clay and that was many years ago.As I remember though I thought it smoked a bit hot.Of course my smoking technique back in those days probably wasn't very well developed.

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
They are fragile!!!! I JUST broke mine literally the day before yesterday. They are worth the extra care though, they smoke super well.
I got mine, and will get any future clay pipes from penn valley pipes.
I had the sherlock modl and it was a wicked smoke, bowl got VERY hot, but thats normal and you can deal with it.
That is an interesting deal but I think im gonna stick to pennvalley.
Clays rock

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
Looks interesting but I have been forbidden to buy anymore pipes until at least the fall :crying:
@zanthal ..... I had a clay once and it died a horrible death while trying to get a "ghost" out of it ( yes, some baccy will ghost even a clay ) soaking and scrubbing the bowl with lemon juice. Other than that it fared pretty well

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Well so much for my PAD restriction. I never had a clay or SWR so I bit the bullet. Besides, if I have a friend over what better way to introduce him to pipes than to offer a clay, all old-school like?

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
I just finished a smoke in my clay, and I loved it. The clarity of flavor is up there with a meer. I'd venture to say its the poor man's meer. It will smoke hot if you aren't careful though.

grizzly86

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 5, 2012
Dang, I wish I had seen this before I placed my order. Guess I'll have to wait and hope they are still good priced for next time.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
So the question is, are all clays created equal, or are some clays "higher end", higher quality, as with briars?

jwp159

Can't Leave
Jan 1, 2010
If you haven't tried a clay you owe it to yourself to try one. They impart no flavor to the smoke so what you taste is pure. They will smoke hot but if you can adjust they way you smoke to make it work for you. Fragile yes to drops and beating around but well worth the extra care. I have 2 they are not my regular smokes, but are very enjoyable when the time is right, especially around a camp fire or the fireplace.

pawpaw

Lifer
Jun 25, 2011
cleveland NC
So the question is, are all clays created equal, or are some clays "higher end", higher quality, as with briars?
they are not all equal I have read someone onsite talking about diffrent ways to make a clay pipes and my german cutty aint half the pipe my Wally Franks is.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Thanks for the feedback pawpaw...I intend to add a clay to my collection at some point...I'll have to do a little research...and check out the Wally Franks.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
This looks like an interesting site on the history of clays...and also has some good links:
http://www.claypipes.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.