PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fluffie666

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2014
So I've been restoring some old pipes. Almost all of them that I have reqire the bowl to be reamed. I'm guessing the these pipes belonged to a hot smoker because there is some burned wood in a good percentage of them. Some are worse than others and I am trying to turn this issue into a lesson for myself. This leads to to some questions I have for the veteran pipe restorers out there.
First, after reaming, salt treatment and a retort I noticed some pitting inside the chamber on one pipe I have. The pitting doesn't look major. It's just a few scratches and small gouges. If I leave these pits there and smoke the pipes, do I have to be careful in the way I break them in? I would imagine that smoking them even a bit to hot would char the wood again. I don't want this to happen.
Should I instead ream and sand all the pits out so I have a nice and smooth chamber? In the later case I would be smoking in bare briar. Should I coat the bowl with some sort of pre-carb? I was thinking that I could mix a small amount of water or even honey with some ashes in order to have some protection for the briar.
Let me know what you think. I have a lot of pipes to get through and a lot to learn. I'd like to hear your ideas so I can get myself going in the right direction.
Thank you.

kf4bsb

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 23, 2013
For me at least, that is kind of a hard question to answer without seeing the inside of the bowl in question. Did you ream all the way back to the wood, or did you leave a thin cake? Sometimes when I leave a thin cake and then alcohol/salt treat I also find what look like small pits and cracks. After careful inspection the cracks and pits are just in the carbon layer, and not the wood. If you have a dental pick style tool you can probe them to determine if they are in the wood or just the carbon layer.
If it is just in the carbon layer, I would not worry about them and would smoke the pipe. If it is just some scratches on the surface of the wood, I probably still wouldn't worry about them. If on the other hand it is a crack, well that is a different story. See if you can determine exactly what you have going on and let us know
If you sand back to wood in the bowl, smoking with exposed briar really isn't a big deal. I have bought several new pipes that did not have a prewar on layer and never had a problem. Smoke them a little slower and let the carbon layer build slower. If you want to pre-carbon your bowl, there are several techniques out there for doing it.

forest7

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 8, 2014
After ream or sand put on some of pipe mud(Ash and water or honey mix) will do the job.

As long as it is not burn through it will be O.K. to smoke.

fluffie666

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2014
On the one I'm working on now it looks to be cake. I went in there with a flashlight and a pick. I got lucky on this one. Thanks kf4bsb. I do have quite a few where the briar is charred. Think I could ream it back to clean briar and then use pipe mud? Some of my bowls may get pretty thin. I like the pipe mud idea.

kf4bsb

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 23, 2013
Is the briar just dark, or really charred? Charred wood will be very dry, and will be crumbly when probed.
I do not recommend trying to ream all the way back to fresh wood. Pipe reamers really are not designed to take off layers of wood. I would team back as far as you can to get close to the wood and then work n the tobacco chamber with sand paper, but be careful. You do not want to change the shape of the bowl or really thin it out. Again, it is really kind of hard to say without seeng it.

Status
Not open for further replies.