PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

beezer

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
Last night I was inspecting the tins in my cellar and spotted a 50g tin of C&D's Kajun Kake that was bulging noticeably, so I decided to crack the tin and jar it for a spot in my rotation. Upon opening the tin I noticed a very distinct sour kind of wine vinegar smell, which wasn't off putting at all but it didn't trigger an out of body experience like the initial smell of others have. No biggie.
I prepped the crumble cake with a knife and rubbed the entire tin's worth out and decided to wait until tonight to smoke my first bowl of this stuff. I left a bowl's worth out for a couple hours to dry this afternoon and once it was just about crispy I packed my pipe with it.
I just came inside after smoking through the first third and thought I'd post a couple initial thoughts. This is my first blend with red virginia and perique that I've tried, so I think, and so far I'm finding this blend to be a little bit too spicey and almost harsh tasting. The nicotine is a bit on the strong side as well I'm finding and as a light weight in that department I'm a little surprised to find it starting to make its presence known so early.
I'm heading back outside to finish this bowl up and will post some closing thoughts on this first bowl of the Kajun.
Does anyone else have any opinions of this blend?

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
By coincidence, I popped a 2 yr old tin of this just yesterday. I thought it was wonderful.

The only difference is that I did not dry it at all. Smoked it immediately after rubbing it out.

The Virginis(a) are sweet and bready, the Perique is pungent and fruity. Love it.

beezer

Jul 12, 2013
I just finished my first bowl of this stuff and it had too much spiciness going on for my taste. The perique was the main player in this blend from start to finish and in a major way. Occasionally a faint amount of sweetness would enter in, but the earthy strong spice was just way too dominant. It already had a year of age on it so I'm guessing it'll need several more years for the perique to soften some. The nicotine really packed a punch and left me a little jittery and dizzy as well.
For those who enjoy stronger bolder blends Kajun Kake might strike their fancy, but for me I will probably not reach for this again for a while. I usually don't make conclusions based on a single bowl smoked, but I'm definitely not going to be buying another tin of this anytime soon if ever. I'll probably move the jar to the back of my cellar and forget about it.
I'm curious what others think of this blend. For those who have tried it what blends are similar in profile?

beezer

Jul 12, 2013
Cortez,
Glad to hear your experience differed from mine. Maybe next week I'll try a second bowl without drying it out first. Perhaps the harshness I detected was due to being overly dry and puffing too hard/fast. With 2 years of age, was the perique still front and center with the virginia in the background?

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
It is a Perique-forward blend, but I would say the Virginia holds its own pretty well. Expectations have a lot to do with perceptions. If you were expecting something different, then it's easy to see why you were disappointed. Try it without drying it out. BTW, I'm not real familiar with this blend myself, so maybe a regular smoker of this blend can chime in.

P

pipebuddy

I like Kajun Kake a lot. The idea of a broken cake is just awesome because it's so easy to prepare. Then the proportions of the Red VAs and their processing into a cavendish plus the Perique result in a strong and tasty tobacco that has a unique taste and develops interesting nuances.
Not for those who prefer lighter doses of nicotine, though.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
I smoked a tin of this fresh, quite a while ago........ I enjoyed it. I bought 5 tins, and the ones I have in the cellar are really bulging-- to the point that 4 of them won't stack. I wonder if the fermentation(bulging) has worsened this blend? Usually bulging tins are a good sign. My tins are from 2013.

beezer

Jul 12, 2013
I went and checked out the reviews for this blend over at tobaccoreviews.com and it has earned a very respectable 3.2 overall rating with 72 reviews so there is definitely a fan base for this stuff as illustrated here by the comments you fellas posted.
I wonder what it is about this blend that makes the fermentation process so noticeable (bulging tins). Do red virginias let off a bunch of gasses? Is it the tin style? Interesting.
Related to Kajun Kake, I read recently that some retailers received a bad batch where mold was an issue. That certainly wasn't the case with my tin, but I make mention of it while on the Kajun Kake topic.
I'll smoke another bowl or two of this in different pipes and experiment with the dry time. If I have a significantly different experience I'll leave a comment about it here.

beezer

Jul 12, 2013
As an update, I have smoked a few more bowls from this tin and I'm liking it more with each bowl. It's a very unique taste in my opinion and now that I know what I'm in for I found I enjoy the flavor profile more. It's not bad, but I still will probably not replenish the stock once I get through the tin. Too many blends out there to try.

skulltula

Lurker
Aug 17, 2015
I had purchased 4 ounces in bulk, and it doesn't even have a month of age on it right now.
I don't think I particularly care much for it. I mean, it's nice and smokes coolly enough, and doesn't bit, but the nicotine content is really weak for me and I don't really care much for the smokey, campfire essence. I blend it with other tobaccos for endurance.
But I can't see myself getting rid of it because it takes the edge off of nicotine powerhouses and works as a good body additive. I know that I can smoke it and go right back to work without feeling drowsy. If I want to get drunk, I'm going to probably turn right to this to get a real "pirate life" adventure, but this doesn't scream "pirate" to me at all. It screams "family time marshmallows and weenies."
But that's my opinion. It's only worth a grain of salt, so please take it as exactly that.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
If I want to get drunk, I'm going to probably turn right to this to get a real "pirate life" adventure, but this doesn't scream "pirate" to me at all. It screams "family time marshmallows and weenies."

I don't really care much for the smokey, campfire essence.

Skulltula- Are you confusing this blend with Pirate Kake?

Status
Not open for further replies.