PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

joshuagl

Lurker
Oct 22, 2017
Hey all, new around here

When my dad learned that I had an interest in smoking a pipe, he gave me a couple of my grandpa's unsmoked pipes. According to my dad, he had at least a dozen that he'd regularly smoke, but these two were just for him to chew on when he couldn't smoke. I was wondering if anybody could tell me more about the pipes themselves, as my grandpa passed away before my first birthday, and my dad smokes cigars rather than pipes. Both pipes are Edwards straight billiards, marked as Algerian briar. One has what looks like "00M5" on the shank, and the other has a 7 on the bottom of the bowl and a 95 at the end of the shank.
Edited by jvnshr: Title capitalization.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
There are better pipe historians than me on Forums, but I think these are grand old pipes, but not collectors' items. I have similar pipes, I think, made by Edwards under their Benton brand and sold by Iwan Ries as house pipes with the Iwan Ries stamps, and made of the same Algerian briar. Good briar, nice big bowls. I have a billiard and a Canadian. I think Edwards has discontinued their pipes, but there are still many around. Enjoy smoking them. Apologies if I have any of this wrong; I defer to the real pipe historians among us.

joshuagl

Lurker
Oct 22, 2017
*It was then that he noticed the IMG in all caps in the post box. Feeling rather foolish, he went to post the photographs of his inherited pipes.*

OWAbNiw.jpg

8rM7kZN.jpg

i7ocs7l.jpg

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I own about a dozen of them, many bought new. They are good smokers, dependable, and darken considerably with use. They were about $25 when new, in the 1980's. Not exotic by any means, just good, dependable smokers. Yours look well loved. Mine are still great after 35+ years.

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
You are a lucky guy to have grandpa's pipes. Welcome to the forum! Good on you for finding the image posting thing. Some of us take forever to find it. :lol:
Did you dad save any of the other pipes of your grandpa's?

joshuagl

Lurker
Oct 22, 2017
He says that he still has them, but I don't know quite what condition they're in. They haven't been smoked in at least three decades, so they might need some restoration.

cwarmouth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2017
I think you would find it quite rewarding to restore your grandfather's pipes and then have the pleasure of using family heirlooms.

Jan 8, 2013
*It was then that he noticed the IMG in all caps in the post box. Feeling rather foolish, he went to post the photographs of his inherited pipes.*
:rofl: This guy's gonna fit in just fine here! :clap: Beautiful pipes, by the way.

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
I bought a lot of something like 100 pipes from a guy who got them in a storage locker auction. 80% were Edwards brand pipes, but there were some more valuable pipes in there too, like some Briar Workshop, Randy Wiley, Savinelli, and a few others. The Edwards pipes looked to be from the 1970s. Apparently, they put no reigns on their carvers. There are some wild shapes in there, but some really beautiful freehands and some nicely made traditional English shapes, too. I've cleaned up several of the most appealing pipes and they smoke very well.
I've read what looks to me as an unsubstantiated rumor that Edwards oil-cured their pipes, a la Dunhill. I can verify that all of my Edwards pipes have a simple and attractive oil finish. No stains.
It's cool that you have your grandfather's pipes. These look like very nice pipes! Enjoy them.

joshuagl

Lurker
Oct 22, 2017
Well now I'm coming to realize that I'm in an especially difficult state for pipe smoking: Washington. Not only can I not just order tobacco online, but with the legalization of marijuana and the current vaping craze, there's just not a ton of space left in stores for pipes. Went to a couple stores that were on my way for errands today, none of them even had a tamper, or any tobacco brands I recognized. I'll probably start another thread for this, but are there any Eastside Puget Sounders who know a good store?

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
I could be, and probably am, wrong, but I thought I read somewhere that Edwards pipes were the original Tinder Box pipes, made for the chain by Dunhill. Anybody???

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Here's a PipesMagazine article that you may find interesting.

http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/pipe-manufacturer-retailer-spotlight/edwards-pipe-tobacco-tampa-fl/

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
tsch', unless I am completely misinformed, Edwards pipe are American made, i.e. U.S., including sub-brands like Benton, and have no link to Dunhill. I'm not sure of their geographical history, but I believe they were last made in Texas and/or Florida. I used to jokingly call my Iwan Ries pipes Chicago Dunhills, but that was whimsy. By the way, those stems look just like the ones on my Iwan Ries house pipe Bentons, tapered just that way, a family resemblance.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
@joshuagl - I live in WA as well. You can order pipe tobacco online from SmokingPipes.com, 4Noggins.com, Milian Tobacconist, Mars Cigars and Pipes, and you'll save yourself a ton of money as pipe tobacco is very expensive here. A $10-12 tin of tobacco can go for $19-24 that the B&M depending on which one.
There is a tobacco shop right by Pike Place Market, and if you're up by Polsbol (??) there is a place called the Cargo Hold. It's a great little shop, but remember prices are high.
By the way those pipes look great. Enjoy smoking them.

Status
Not open for further replies.