PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

haymarket

Lurker
Jul 23, 2012
California
I was at my uncles house this past weekend hoping to find the pipe my dad used to smoke (he gave it to my uncle over 20 years ago), instead I ended up leaving with all of my uncle's pipes which have been sitting for 20 years and look to be barely smoked aside from some major clinching. I told him I would restore them and he could have them back whenever he wanted. Thanks to the information here, I have already oxi-cleaned, buffed, and smoked McB Acadian Perique in the Savinelli. In addition the pipes, I received my sampler from hiplainsdrifter (see below), I feel like its Christmas morning!
I included a picture of the pipes and the stamped information, please let me know if anybody can identify or tell me anything special about them.
Tobacco Sampler:

McCranie's Red Ribbon

GL Pease Jackknife Plug

Macbaren Symphony (aged 30 years!!!)

Macbaren Acadian Perique

Sam Gawith Kendall Plug

Macbaren Virginia #1

Stokkebye Luxury Bullseye Flake

Sam Gawith St. James Flake

GL Pease Chelsea Morning

Macbaren Mature Virginia
Pipes:
pipes-s.jpeg

(numbered in columns, down then right)

1. Italy

2. Italy

3. Freehand Isreal

4. Savinelli Punto Oro 606 KS, Mister G

5. Lorenzo Sabbia 64 S Italy

6. Medico Symphony Select Briar

7. Lorenzo Sabbia 65 S Italy

8. John's Pipe Shop, Los Angeles, John's Wilshire

9. Italy

10. Boda Pipe, Imported Birar, Pat. Pend.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
What a great collection of pipes you have there. Nice to be able to have family pipes in your collection, I wish I knew what happened to my grandfather's pipes.

haymarket

Lurker
Jul 23, 2012
California
Thank you guys, it was great to get this boost just as I am getting the hang of pipe smoking. I had beed using a cob and saving for a briar up until last weekend. My uncle mentioned having a dunhill somewhere... I will follow up with that on my next visit :D

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
The Freehand-Israel was probably made by the Shalom Pipe factory,the same folks who originally made the Alphas. When Mastercraft was bought by the Dr.Grabow folks they made the Alphas and their own line of freehands that are based upon the Israel freehands.Some info on the Shalom pipes here-- http://pipedia.org/index.php?title=Shalom_Pipe_Factory

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Nice haul, pard. The price was right on the burners and you've got some wonderful tobacco to start developing your palate. You did well.
To parrot what Ed just mentioned, I cleaned up an old Masterson last night - also a product of the Shalom Pipe factory - and it's an excellent burner: ugly as sin with it's light brown coloring but still a cool smoker. You'll enjoy that Freehand.

haymarket

Lurker
Jul 23, 2012
California
Is there a reason why the #2 pipe (poker?) which is only stamped "Italy" on the bottom, has a blank area with no writing on the side?

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
The pipe is probably what's called a basket pipe. A pipe made by a manufacturer that didn't mean their standards. The manufacturer probably would have put their name there.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Yeah, looks like a very nice lot, I didn't get any family heirloom pipes sadly, but I do have some old tobacco tins that were my great grandfather's. Keeping the tradition alive.

ruraldean

Might Stick Around
Apr 27, 2012
I have no living family on my side, but my wife has a small township on hers. Not one of them ever smoked pipes. I am distraught.

Status
Not open for further replies.